Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is the perfect amount of chocolate to vanilla ratio and this homemade creamy vanilla ice cream full of mini chocolate chips is the best!
Homemade Ice Cream
It’s summer and ice cream season has arrived. Truth be told, it is always ice cream season at our house. We love our ice cream and that is evident by the dozens of ice cream recipes here on the blog.
Growing up, Baskin Robbins was a favorite ice cream stop, and my first choice was always chocolate chip! It was usually my only choice. I didn’t care that they had 31 flavors. I only needed one.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
First, this recipe uses the best vanilla ice cream base ever. I’ve been using the same vanilla ice cream recipe for years and it’s a good one! It is delicious all on it’s own but it is even better when you add in chocolate chips.
Second, you need to have the perfect vanilla to chocolate ratio. To achieve this, I used mini chocolate chips rather than full size chocolate chips. Chocolate chips tend to get a little hard when frozen in ice cream and using smaller mini chocolate chips makes for a more pleasant ice cream eating experience.
Third, there are no eggs or egg yolks in this recipe so there is no need to cook and make a custard mixture.
Ice Cream Ingredients
Good quality ingredients are important!
- Whole Milk – using whole milk makes for a creamier ice cream.
- Heavy Cream
- Half and Half. I have experimented with just using more whole milk and whipping cream instead of half and half, and it does effect the flavor/texture of the ice cream somewhat but is still delicious.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – The vanilla is the star of the show here, use real vanilla for the best taste
- Mini Chocolate Chips or chopped chocolate chunks. I prefer using semi-sweet chocolate.
What is Half and Half?
I am often asked what half and half is. It is a combination of whole milk and whipping cream. If you don’t have half and half where you live (I think it may be an American thing) just use more whipping cream and whole milk in place of the half and half – a 1:1 ratio. But if you can buy half and half, I highly recommend doing so.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- Combine all your ingredients together in a bowl except the chocolate chips and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Pour ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. This is the ice cream maker I have used for years.
- After ice cream has thickened and it is almost done, pour in chocolate chips and churn for a few more minutes to incorporate chocolate chips throughout ice cream.
- Place ice cream into an insulated ice cream container and freeze to allow it to harden up more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stored in an airtight, insulated ice cream container it will last for a couple of weeks.
This homemade ice cream recipe is designed to be made in an ice cream maker and is not meant to be a no churn ice cream.
Tip from Leigh Anne
Instead of mini chocolate chips you could also use:
Chopped candy bar
Chopped cookies. I especially love Oreos
Fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
Some of our favorite ice creams include:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or 3/4 whole milk and 3/4 whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2-1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix together all ingredients but the chocolate chips and pour into a 2 qt. ice cream maker.
- Follow manufacturers directions
- About 5 minutes before ice cream is done, pour in chocolate chips and churn for 5 more minutes to allow them to incorporate.
- Place ice cream into a freezer container to set up.