Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is the perfect amount of chocolate to vanilla ratio and this homemade creamy vanilla ice cream full of mini chocolate chips is the best!
This time of year, the ice cream maker is in pretty constant use at our house. We love our ice cream and some of our favorite flavors include this Mint Chip Ice Cream. Birthday Cake Ice Cream is the perfect combo of cake and ice cream. And I love to make ice cream sandwiches out of this Cinnamon Ice Cream.
Homemade Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
It’s summer and ice cream season has arrived. Truth be told, it is always ice cream season at our house. We love our ice cream and that is evident by the dozens of ice cream recipes here on the blog.
Growing up, Baskin Robbins was a favorite ice cream stop, and my first choice was always chocolate chip! It was usually my only choice. I didn’t care that they had 31 flavors. I only needed one.
The first step is starting with a good vanilla ice cream base. I’ve been using the same vanilla ice cream recipe for years and it’s a good one! It is delicious all on it’s own but it is even better when you add in chocolate.
Second, you need to have the perfect vanilla to chocolate ratio. To achieve this, I use mini chocolate chips rather than full size chocolate chips. Chocolate chips tend to get a little hard when frozen in ice cream and using smaller mini chocolate chips makes for a more pleasant ice cream eating experience.
Ice Cream Ingredients
Good quality ingredients are important!
- Whole Milk – using whole milk makes for a creamier ice cream
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Half and Half (see below)
- Pure Vanilla – use real vanilla for the best taste
- Mini Chocolate Chips or chopped up chocolate bar
What is Half and Half?
I am often asked what half and half is. It is a combination of whole milk and whipping cream. If you don’t have half and half where you live (I think it may be an American thing) just use more whipping cream and whole milk in place of the half and half – a 1:1 ratio.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Combine all your ingredients together except the chocolate chips and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. This is the ice cream maker I have used for years.
- After ice cream has thickened and it is almost done, pour in chocolate chips and churn for a few more minutes to incorporate chocolate chips throughout ice cream.
- Place ice cream into an insulated ice cream container and freeze to allow it to harden up more.
Some of our favorite ice cream based desserts include:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or 3/4 whole milk and 3/4 whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2-1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix together all ingredients but the chocolate chips and pour into a 2 qt. ice cream maker.
- Follow manufacturers directions
- About 5 minutes before ice cream is done, pour in chocolate chips and churn for 5 more minutes to allow them to incorporate.
- Place ice cream into a freezer container to set up.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!