I love a good vanilla ice cream and this dressed up version of brown sugar vanilla bean ice cream is delicious!
Whenever I am asked what my favorite ice cream is I always hesitate because I really love a good vanilla ice cream but that just seems so boring to say! But I have come to terms with it and will pick a good vanilla bean ice cream over just about anything else. Every once in a while I like to dress it up with some fudge sauce, salted caramel sauce or today’s version with some brown sugar.
The combination of brown sugar and vanilla bean is pure goodness. I used real vanilla bean but gives it even more vanilla goodness. If you don’t have one or can’t find one in your grocery store you can use vanilla extract but it’s not quite the same. Be sure and use a quality vanilla extract if you aren’t using a vanilla bean.
Using real vanilla bean is definitely worth the trouble and the extra expense. It gives the ice cream such an amazing vanilla flavor. To use a vanilla bean all you have to do is slit it open with the tip of a sharp knife and then scrap the tiny little seeds inside into your liquid. I also add in the whole bean and let all that flavor seem into your milk.
As usual, I used my trusty Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. I found the flavor was even better after the ice cream set up for a day. I love using this ice cream container to keep my ice cream in the freezer. It really helps it maintain a nice smooth texture.
This Brown Sugar and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream also makes great ice cream sandwiches. I love using a butter waffle cookie and the ones from Trader Joes are my favorite.
I’m hoping for a nice warm summer because my favorite way to keep cool is homemade ice cream and I want an excuse to make lots of this one!
Brown Sugar Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- In a heavy pan combine milk, vanilla bean, vanilla bean seeds, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, do not allow to boil.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl and beat.
- Add in 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Add egg mixture back into pan of milk and stir and cook until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Add in half and half and whipping cream and refrigerate until cold. Cover with plastic wrap.
- After chilled pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers directions.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.