Creamy Coleslaw is the perfect, easy summer side dish. A combination of cabbage, carrots, and green onions, this recipe is healthy and delicious.
Best Homemade Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
I am a coleslaw convert. It’s not that I ever disliked coleslaw, I just tended to ignore it. Whenever it made an appearance at a picnic or a potluck I just passed it by thinking it was just a bowl full of cabbage! Well, I had a life changing coleslaw experience.
I was served coleslaw on top of a BBQ Beef Sandwich and it was so good! I immediately changed my mind about coleslaw. I love the cool, creamy, crunchy texture that this coleslaw recipe adds to the warm, smoky flavor of the BBQ beef. It can be a little messy to eat but so worth the mess and the effort.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- It only takes minutes to prepare. You can mix up the dressing ahead of time so it is even quicker when you are ready to serve it.
- It’s a great side dish for a picnic, potluck or party and goes with just about everything and anything.
- You can prep it a day or two ahead and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Cabbage. I think you get the best results by shredding your own green cabbage and red cabbage but I often use a pre packaged coleslaw mix from the store. If shredding my own cabbage I will also add in some grated carrot for some additional crunch and color. Use a sharp knife or a mandoline to slice the cabbage.
Green Onion and Cilantro. Chop and use these to garnish the top of coleslaw before serving.
Tip from Leigh Anne
- Prepare your creamy coleslaw at least 1-2 hours before serving to give the flavors time to meld together and allow the cabbage to soften slightly. Keep the coleslaw in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Creamy Coleslaw Dressing Recipe
The star of the show here is the creamy coleslaw dressing. The dressing can be made several days ahead of time.
- Mayonnaise. Use regular mayo not low fat.
- White Balsamic Vinegar. If you can’t find white you can use regular balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Dijon Mustard. You can switch up your mustard for a variety of flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Celery Seed. This is the secret to this dressing and it’s great flavor so don’t leave them out!
- Red Onion. Diced small
How to Make Creamy Coleslaw
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together.
- Pour over cabbage.
- Keep coleslaw refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Dressing may settle in bottom of bowl so stir and redistribute before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Creamy Coleslaw will last 2-3 in the refrigerator when kept covered in an airtight container. If you need it to last longer, store the cabbage and the dressing separately and add dressing before serving.
After it sits in the refrigerator for a day or two it will release some liquid. Just drain it before serving. If it dries out a bit add in some additional mayonnaise.
Check out these other favorite recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 16 oz. coleslaw mix or equivalent amount of shredded red cabbage and green cabbage
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp white balsamic veibnar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp stone ground mustard
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour over shredded cabbage.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Tips & Notes:
- If using a store bought coleslaw mix I like to add in 1-2 grated carrots for extra crunch and color.
- Prepare your coleslaw at least 1-2 hours before serving to give the flavors time to meld together and allow the cabbage to soften slightly. Keep the coleslaw in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Originally posted June 20, 2013