Crockpot BBQ Beef is a tender shredded beef mixed with a delicious tangy barbeque sauce that is as delicious as it is easy. Throw the ingredients in the crock pot and let it cook away. It’s perfect for your next potluck or summer cookout.
Easy Dinner Idea
Looking for a quick and easy summertime meal? I’ve got you covered with these delicious sandwiches made with crockpot BBQ beef.
I love using my crock pot all year round but especially in the summer. Throw dinner into the crock pot first thing in the morning, head out to play, and dinner’s ready when you get home. And the crock pot doesn’t heat up your kitchen on a hot summer day.
- 3 lb. chuck roast, pot roast or blade roast.
- Onion. Chopped or diced
- Coke. I have also used Dr. Pepper or root beer.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dry mustard. If you only have wet mustard, add in 2 tsp.
- Chili powder. Increase the amount if you’d like a little heat.
- Garlic. Use fresh minced garlic or substitute with half the amount of dry garlic.
- BBQ Sauce. Use your favorite brand. I am a fan of Sweet Baby Ray’s. I have also used ketchup instead.
How to Make Crock Pot BBQ Beef
- Place roast, garlic and onion into slow cooker.
- Mix together Coke, Worcestershire Sauce, vinegar, beef broth, and dry mustard. Reserve one cup of mixture for later.
- Pour remaining mixture over meat into slow cooker.
- Put on lid and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove meat from crock pot onto a cookie sheet and shred. Meat should shed very easily, if it doesn’t, put it back into the crockpot and cook for another 30-60 minutes.
- Mix together the reserved liquid and combine with BBQ sauce or ketchup in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until it begins to slightly thicken.
- Pour mixture over meat and stir to coat.
- Return the meat to the crock pot if you want to keep it warm until ready to serve.
- When serving, top with some additional BBQ sauce if desired.
- Always toast your buns first. This adds additional flavor plus it helps the bun from getting soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to cook shredded BBQ Beef?
I always prefer to cook my meat in the crock pot on the slow if possible. It makes for more tender meat. Cook this on low for 8-9 hours. If you are crunched for time I’d recommend doing it in the Instant Pot where it only takes just over an hour.
Why do you add Coke?
The high acidity level of Coke acts as a great tenderizer to the meat, helping to make it super tender. You don’t taste the Coke at all. I have also used Dr. Pepper or Root Beer. I recommend not using diet soda.
Can I Make Crockpot BBQ Beef in the Instant Pot?
This recipe works well in the instant pot. Follow these directions:
Cut chuck roast into 3-4 pieces. Add beef and onions into Instant Pot.
In a bowl, mix together cola, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, beef broth, mustard and chili powder.
Add lid and lock into place. Turn the valve on top to the “sealing” position.
Set to Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, and set the time to 60 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release, turning knob to venting position and release pressure.
When the pin drops down, remove lid.
Remove beef from instant pot and shred. Pour juices out of pot and put the shredded meat back in.
In a sauce pan combine 1 cup of reserved mixture and bbq sauce and stir over over medium heat. Stir until slightly thickened.
Add mixture back into the pot, stir to combine and let the sauce and meat meld together.
For some other quick and easy crockpot recipes check out these:
This is my favorite Crock Pot. I own three of them!
Crockpot BBQ Beef
- 3 lb. chuck roast
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 12 oz. can cola soda 1 1/2 C
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup ketchup or bbq sauce
- Put beef, garlic and onions in crock pot.
- Combine cola, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, bouillon, mustard and chili powder.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture. and pour remaining over roast
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8-9 hours.
- Roast will be tender and pull apart easily.
- Remove roast from crock pot and shred.
- Combine reserved sauce and ketchup in pan and heat until slightly thickened
- Pour over meat and stir.