Skillet Cornbread is easy to make and the crispy edges are delicious!
Cornbread in a Cast Iron Skillet
I love cooking in my cast iron skillet. For some reason food just tastes better when it is cooked in cast iron.
I have three cast iron skillets that stay stacked inside each other on my stove top at all times because I like they way they look. I also have no room for them in my pot and pan cupboard! It makes me happy to see them there getting better with age, just like me 🙂
What if I Don’t Have a Cast Iron Pan?
This recipe originally called for the cornbread to be baked in a 8 x 8 pan, but I decided it would taste better if I cooked it in my cast iron skillet! Of course you can make this even if you don’t have a cast iron skillet but you really should get one.
What is Cornmeal?
Cornmeal can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store. It is dried and ground corn and can range in texture from fine to coarse. I use a fine cornmeal. But it is not the same thing as corn flour or masa harina or grits. Corn Flour is more finely ground than corn meal.
How to Make Skillet Cornbread
- Combine eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a bowl and beat.
- Then Mix dry ingredients together including cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Put 1 Tbsp butter into your cast iron skillet and place it in the oven as it preheats and remove as soon as butter is melted.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Pour your cornbread batter into the pan with the melted butter.
- Put it back in the oven and bake for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You want to see those nice crispy edges around the outside.
You are now ready to cut yourself a nice big piece and slather it with butter and honey. Make it even more delicious when you add some honey butter! Check out my mother in law’s amazing honey butter recipe here. This skillet cornbread is best served warm right out of the oven. but don’t forget the pan will be hot!
- 1/2 cup butter plus 1 Tbsp for the pan
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Melt 1/2 C butter. Allow to cool
- In a bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt and mix.
- In another bowl mix together buttermilk and eggs. Add in 1/2 C melted butter.
- Pour the flour mixture into the liquid mixture and mix until just combined.
- Put 1 Tbsp butter into your pan and place in oven as it preheats. Remove as soon as butter is melted.
- Pour batter into pan with melted butter and bake for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.