Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup is one of the most popular soup recipes on my blog! Tomato basil soup is one of the original comfort foods.
I love the holidays. Having my kids home and all the craziness that comes with it. I loved all the cooking, baking, eating, playing, and partying that went on. But I am also ready to get back to a regular routine. It’s the same feeling I have each September a long summer full of fun, ready for order and routine.
And I’m also ready for more simplified meals and cooking. My Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup is a perfect way to transition to simply delicious meals. Emphasis on simple, because there isn’t much easier than making soup in the crockpot. And this deliciously creamy tomato basil soup brings back a lot of great memories for me. One of my favorite childhood meals was tomato soup and grilled cheese. My favorite comfort food.
How to Make Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup
This soup is a combination of canned diced tomatoes, celery, carrots and onions. You put those ingredients in the crockpot with chicken broth. Allow to cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Then, about 30 minutes before you want to serve it, You thicken it with a roux. A roux is a combination of butter and flour. The flour thickens while the fat, in this case butter, ads flavor and makes the flour dissolve in the soup without clumping. If you need a gluten free option, you can use cornstarch.
Next add a cup of hot soup broth into the roux.
Then add in 3 more cups and stir until smooth. Pour thickened soup broth bak into the crockpot. Next comes a cup of Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, and pepper. Then add in fresh basil and dried oregano.
Finally, cover and allow to cook for another 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. And you are ready to eat.
Garnish your bowl of crockpot tomato basil soup with more cheese and serve it with a yummy, crusty bread like my easy french bread.
Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup
- 45 oz petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 C celery finely diced
- 1 C carrots finely chopped
- 1 C onions finely diced
- 1 tsp oregano finely diced
- 1/4 C fresh basil minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 C Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 C half and half warmed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions and chicken broth into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5-7 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving make the roux.
- Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add in flour.
- Stir constantly for about 5 minutes
- Slowly add in 1 cup of hot soup.
- Add in 3 more cups of soup and stir until smooth.
- Put all back into the crock pot.
- Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper
- Add in oregano and basil.
- Cover and let cook on low for another 30 minutes or until ready to serve.