Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup is one of the most popular soup recipes on my blog! Tomato basil soup is one of the original comfort foods.
We love to make soup in our crock pot and this Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is another family favorite. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup is a fun twist of traditional chicken noodle soup and Slow Cooker Steak Soup is rich and hearty.
The holidays are upon us and that means lots of cooking! I love all the planning and cooking that goes into making holiday gatherings and meals special and memorable but I’m always ready for a little break from it afterwards. And I’m also ready for more simplified meals and cooking. My Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup is a perfect way to transition to simply delicious meals. Emphasis on simple, because there isn’t much easier than making soup in the crockpot. And this deliciously creamy tomato basil soup brings back a lot of great memories for me. One of my favorite childhood meals was tomato soup and grilled cheese. My favorite comfort food.
How to Make Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup
- This soup is a combination of canned diced tomatoes, celery, carrots and onions. You put those ingredients in the crockpot with chicken broth. Allow to cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- Thirty minutes before you want to serve it you will thicken it with a roux. A roux is a combination of melted butter and flour. In a frying pan, combine the two and stir. The flour thickens while the fat, in this case butter, adds flavor and makes the flour dissolve in the soup without clumping. If you need a gluten free option, you can use cornstarch or a gluten free flour.
- Next add a cup of hot soup broth into the roux.
- Then add in 1 – 2 more cup and stir until smooth. Pour thickened soup broth back into the crockpot.
- Add in a cup of shredded Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, and pepper. Then add in fresh basil and dried oregano. Warming the half and half prevents it from separating and curdling in the soup.
- Finally, cover and allow to cook for another 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. And you are ready to eat.
Garnish your bowl of crockpot tomato basil soup with more cheese and serve it with a yummy, crusty bread like my easy french bread.
Things to serve with Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Crockpot Tomato Soup Recipe
Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup
- 45 oz petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 C celery finely diced
- 1 C carrots finely chopped
- 1 C onions finely diced
- 1 tsp oregano finely diced
- 1/4 C fresh basil minced
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 C Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 C half and half warmed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions and chicken broth into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5-7 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving make the roux.
- Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add in flour.
- Stir constantly for about 5 minutes
- Slowly add in 1 cup of hot soup.
- Add in 3 more cups of soup and stir until smooth.
- Put all back into the crock pot.
- Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper
- Add in oregano and basil.
- Cover and let cook on low for another 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
Originally posted January 4, 2013
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!