Impress your summer bbq guests with homemade hamburger buns using this quick and easy hamburger bun recipe.
Summer BBQ time is here. I love walking around the neighborhood on a summer evening and smelling all the wonderful smells coming form my neighbor’s backyards as they fire up their grills! One of our good old summer stand by dinners is hamburgers on the grill. I keep hamburger patties frozen in the freezer and we can just grab how ever many we need for however many people are there for dinner. And we kick them up a notch with these homemade hamburger buns.
My hamburger bun recipe is almost as easy as making an extra trip to the store to pick up hamburger buns. And they tastes so much better than anything store bought. Making your own hamburger buns is really easy. Honest! And once you enjoy homemade hamburger buns it is hard to go back to the store bought kind.
How to Make Hamburger Buns
I just mix up a batch of dough in my Kitchen aid and then form it into buns instead of rolls. This hamburger bun recipe makes 8 good size buns.
Let the dough rise for about 45 minutes or so. Give them a nice egg wash and a sprinkle of poppy seeds or sesame seeds if desired. And they are ready to go into the oven.
Aren’t they pretty!? The best part is they are delicious too. They are so good in fact you will probably be tempted to eat one or two without the hamburger!
If you are grilling hot dogs instead of hamburgers just shape the dough into a hot dog shape for homemade hot dog buns.
If you end up with a few extra they freeze well too.
Try another great easy bread recipe:
Hamburger Bun Recipe
- 1 C warm water
- 3 Tbsp warm milk
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs beaten and divided
- 3 1/3 C bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds for top if desired
- In a bowl combine warm water, milk, yeast and sugar. Let sit until foamy.
- In a bowl combine flour and salt.
- Add in butter and rub into flour with your fingers. It will form crumbs.
- Mix in yeast mixture and 1 egg.
- Knead until smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and form each into a ball.
- Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap sprayed with non stick spray and allow to rise for about 1 hour.
- Brush tops with remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds if desired
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.