Impress your summer BBQ guests with homemade hamburger buns using this quick and easy hamburger bun recipe.
Homemade hamburger buns are the perfect way to dress up some of my favorite burgers. This In n Out Copycat Burger is better than the real thing. Use the buns for a Teriyaki Burger or this delicious Juicy Lucy Burger.
Summer BBQ time is almost here. I love walking around the neighborhood on a summer evening and smelling all the wonderful smells coming form my neighbor’s backyards as they fire up their grills! One of our good old summer stand by dinners is hamburgers on the grill.
Easy Homemade Hamburger Buns
I keep hamburger patties frozen in the freezer and we can just grab them for however many people are there for dinner. I figure since I saved so much time with the frozen hamburger patties I can make my own buns. And once you make your own hamburger buns, you are going to have a have a hard time eating a store bought one!
Making your own hamburger buns at home is almost as easy as making an extra trip to the store to pick up hamburger buns. And they tastes so much better than anything store bought.
You can use this recipe to make any shape or size roll or bun you like, it works for dinner rolls, hot dog buns and slider buns too.
How to Make Hamburger Buns
- Dough. I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer to make the dough but you can always do it by hand. After your dough has risen, divide it into 8 pieces. This hamburger bun recipe makes 8 good size buns.
- Proofing Yeast. If you needs some tips and hints on how to proof yeast be sure and check out this post.
- Form Buns Shape each piece of dough into a round slightly flattened ball. You want them round on top and flat on the bottom. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for about 45 minutes or so. Beat one egg and use a brush to give each bun a nice egg wash. Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds if desired and they are ready to go into the oven.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Aren’t they pretty!? The best part is they are delicious too. They are so good in fact, I usually eat one or two without the hamburger! If you are grilling hot dogs instead of hamburgers just shape the dough into a hot dog shape for homemade hot dog buns. I also use this same dough to make slider buns.
Can Hamburger Buns Be Frozen?
Absolutely! After baking them, cool them completely and place in an air tight bag and freeze. To reheat, let rolls thaw. You can warm them for a few seconds in the microwave if you like, or spread a little butt on them and toast them on the grill. Don’t microwave for too long or they will get soggy. They will last for 2-3 months in the freezer.
Try another great easy bread recipe:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Hamburger Bun Recipe
Hamburger Bun Recipe
- 3 Tbsp warm water 105-110 degrees F.
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 eggs beaten and divided
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds for garnish
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine 3 Tbsp warm water and yeast. Allow to proof and get foamy.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar.
- Add in butter and rub butter into flour with your fingers, it will form crumbs.
- Mix in yeast mixture and 1 cup water and 1 egg
- Knead until smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Divide dough into equal pieces and form each into a ball that is round on the top and flat on the bottom.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap sprayed with non stick cooking spray and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Use other beaten egg to brush the tops of the buns and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Originally posted June 18, 2013