The Juicy Lucy Burger is an amazing burger that is stuffed with cheese! Surprise your guests at your next cookout or BBQ when they bite into their burger.
I am a midwest girl who now lives in the northwest but I have to admit I had never heard of the Minnesota born Juicy Lucy Burger until I was visiting in Utah!
The Juicy Lucy was born in a bar in Minneapolis. The burger is made by sandwiching slices of cheddar cheese between two patties of meat. The cheese melts as the burger cooks and it helps keep the burger really juicy! Thus the name!
Cheese Stuffed Burgers
The Juicy Lucy is made by forming two hamburger patties. I made mine big and used a total of 1/2 pound per burger but you can make them any size you want. Flatten your two patties between two sheets of wax paper with your hand or rolling pin.
I placed two slices of cheese (I used CoJack but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like), torn into pieces on top of one of the patties. The burgers are traditionally made with American cheese but I prefer cheddar.
Place the other patty on top and seal up the edges good so the cheese doesn’t escape out while you are grilling.
Season with salt and pepper and grill. Using a good quality ground beef makes for a better burger and less shrinkage and the Open Nature brand at Albertsons is perfect. It is a high quality meat at a reasonable price.
The Juicy Lucy is the perfect guest to invite to your next BBQ!
Check out more of my favorite summer BBQ recipes:
Juicy Lucy Burger Recipe
- 1 lb lean hamburger formed into four balls
- 4-8 slices cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 buns
- Form hamburger into round balls. I made four balls from 1 lb. hamburger, making 2 burgers but you can make them smaller and form 8, making 4 burgers.
- Flatten balls between two pieces of wax paper with hand or rolling pin.
- Tear cheese into four pieces and place 8 pieces of cheese onto one hamburger patty. Place second patty on top of cheese and seal hamburger closed around the edges. Repeat with second patty
- .Grill. Serve on bun with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard pickles and onion.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.