This delicious Cashew Chicken has great flavor thanks to an amazing sauce. You can personalize it with your favorite veggies and can make it in less time than it takes to pick up your favorite take out.
Whenever I make Cashew Chicken I love to serve it with homemade Fried Rice and these yummy Chinese Green Beans. If you prefer brown rice be sure and check out my Instant Pot Brown Rice post. I even have a slow cooker version of this Cashew Chicken.
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry at Home
Last week I made an old family standby dinner that I hadn’t made in quite a while. I think my husband told me at least three times during the meal how much he liked it. I always get at least one Yum but when I get it three times I KNOW it’s a good one. This one’s a 3 YUM recipe!
Cashew Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs which is what most Chinese restaurants use but you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Vegetables – You can get creative here and use what ever your favorite are. I use carrots and red peppers and sometimes add in snow peas too.
- Sauce – the sauce uses a few ingredients you may not have in your pantry but they are worth buying and I have other recipes here on the blog that use them too if you want a way to use up the product Items you may not have include Oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar. They can all be found on the Asian aisle of your grocery store. They help give this dish it’s great flavor. You will also need ketchup, chicken broth, cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger and garlic.
- Garnish – I like to garnish with sesame seeds, more cashews and green onions for color.
How to Make Cashew Chicken
- Cut your chicken into bite size pieces and combine with 1 tsp. sesame oil, pepper and 1 Tbsp of the sauce you will mix up next. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Mix up your sauce.
- Saute veggies in 1 tsp vegetable oil until desired doneness. Remove from pan.
- Cook chicken in 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, add in ginger and garlic. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Add veggies back in and pour sauce mixture over and stir until sauce thickens.
- Add in cashews.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and additional cashews.
Can I Make Cashew Chicken Gluten Free
Yes! Instead of using soy sauce, use tamari sauce. It can also be found in the Asian aisle of the grocery store.
See if you can get three YUM’s from your family on this one!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Check out these other favorite Chinese takeout recipes:
Cashew Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 1/4 inch coins
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 2 green onions diced
- sesame seeds for garnish
Cashew Chicken Sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
Cashew Chicken Sauce
- Mix up all ingredients and reserve 1 Tbsp for the chicken.
- Cut chicken up into bite size pieces. Add 1 tbsp cashew chicken sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, black pepper and cornstarch to chicken. Let sit 15 minutes.
- Cook carrots and red pepper in 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Cook to desired doneness. Remove from pan.
- Add chicken, ginger, garlic and an additional Tablespoon of oil if needed int the frying pan and cook chicken until cooked through. Add vegetables back in.
- Pour Cashew Chicken Sauce over chicken mixture and stir until sauce thickens.
- Add in cashews. Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and additional cashews if desired.
posted Feb. 6, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, party ideas and travel tips and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Leave a Review