This homemade version of lemon chicken is as good, if not better, than the Chinese restaurant version.
I have been on a bit of a Chinese take out kick lately. I guess I am gearing up for the Chinese New Year which is the first part of February.
Since we don’t have a good Chinese restaurant close by where I can get take out I make my own!
One of our favorite Chinese take out meals is Mongolian Beef, it was one of my top posts from last year and if you haven’t tried it you really should.
Another favorite Chinese take out meal is lemon chicken. No surprise being the lemon lover I am!
I love the light breading and crisp coating covered in a lovely lemon sauce! I dug out an old Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook I have had for 20 years or so and found this recipe.
How to Make Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Filet your chicken breasts (cut them in half horizontally) and then pound between two pieces of wax paper to create a thinner chicken breast. It will cook quicker and more evenly.
- The breading is a combination of egg and cornstarch so it is light and crispy, not heavy like some breadings can be.
- You do not need to use a wok to make great Chinese food. I used my cast iron skillet for this recipe and it turned out great. Just make sure you have about an inch of oil in the pan.
- Use a thermometer to monitor your oil temperature. You want to keep a temperature of 350-375 degrees F.
- Add a garnish of chopped green onions, a few lemon slices and a bed of rice and you have a pretty and delicious meal! Just as good as any Chinese take out.
Do you have a favorite Chinese takeout dish you like to make at home? Happy Chinese New Year (early!)
Note: I halved this recipe for our reduced size family and had enough for two meals!
Other favorite Chinese recipes:
Lemon Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/2 C cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 C water
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- vegetable oil for frying about 3 cups
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- Slice chicken breasts in half and gently pound to flatten
- Combine cornstarch, salt and pepper into a bowl and add in water and egg yolks
- Head oil in wok or frying pan (I used my cast iron skillet) Heat oil to about 375 degrees
- Dip chicken into cornstarch mixture, covering both sides lightly
- Fry chicken in oil until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes
- Drain on paper towel
- Keep warm while you finish cooking chicken
- Cut each piece of chicken into serving pieces and place on serving platter
- Cover with sauce and sprinkle with chopped green onion
To make lemon sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and stir until well blended
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens
- About 5 minutes
- Pour over chicken
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.