Delicious, buttery monkey is bread is as fun to make as it is to eat. Best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. Just grab a piece and enjoy!
If you are looking for some more delicious bread recipes try this Easy French Bread, 30 Minute Rolls or this Easy Pizza Pull Apart Bread
What is Monkey Bread?
Monkey bread is either a sweet or savory bread that is made with balls of dough baked together in a pan. It is called monkey bread because you pull it apart and eat it with your fingers, just like a monkey eats!
I’ve had this recipe for monkey bread in my recipe collection for over 30 years.
Can Monkey Bread Be Made In A Loaf Pan?
The recipe actually makes two bundt pans full of bread. So if you only have one bundt pan you can use two loaf pans for the other half of the dough. The dough also holds up well in the refrigerator when store in an airtight container. It will last for a few days so you can make one loaf later.
This bread is definitely better eaten fresh and warm so if you can time it to come out of the oven right before dinner that’s the best!
How to Make Monkey Bread
The process is a little bit more involved than regular loaf of bread but it makes the bread more fun to eat.
- Mix together dough according to directions below, cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Roll out your dough and use a 2 inch round biscuit cutter ( I use my grandma’s old biscuit cutter) to cut out circles of dough.
- Place the circles, standing upright, into your bundt pan that has 1/2 cup of melted butter sitting in it, just waiting to surround your dough!
- Allow to raise. Don’t you just love it when this happens….
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Allow the bread to cool for a few minutes in the pan and then loosen the edges and slide onto a pretty serving dish.
Now, go for it! Just peel off a piece or two or three and enjoy the yummy, buttery goodness that is Monkey Bread!
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes. Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Monkey Bread Recipe
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 7 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Add yeast to warm water and dissolve for 5 minutes
- Add sugar to water
- Beat eggs into water mixture
- Add in 3 cups of flour and beat well
- Add 4 additional cups of flour, 4 Tbsp melted butter and salt
- Mix well and knead until all the flour is absorbed
- Put damp cloth over dough and let rise 1 hour or until double in size
- Punch down and put in refrigerator several hours or overnight
- Melt 1/2 C butter and put in bundt pan
- Divide the dough in half. The other half may be placed back in the refrigerator for the next day, will last 2-3 days
- Roll dough out to about 1/4" to 3/8" thick, cut out using a 2 inch round biscuit or cookie cutter Place one layer of dough rounds, standing up, into the pan.
- Let rise 2 hours
- Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 20 minutes
- Loosen edges and turn onto a plate
Leave a Review