Cafe Rio Sweet Pork is easy to make and delicious on anything from a salad to a taco.
Cafe Rio is a Utah based restaurant which has now spread into California and Arizona (you lucky people, you!). But sadly it has not come to Oregon yet. So each time I visit Utah, a visit to Cafe Rio is required at least once. One of my favorite dishes to get there is their sweet pork. I love it in a burrito or on a salad. It is delicious both ways! And the now, with this recipe, I can make their delicious sweet pork at home in my crock pot.
There are lots of different sweet pork recipes out there in the blogosphere and I have experimented with a lot of them. This one is by far my favorite and is almost identical to the sweet pork from Cafe Rio.
How to make Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
I purchased pork carnitas from the store but you could use pork roast or shoulder. Just get the least expensive cut of pork you can find.
Then marinate the pork for a couple of hours in a can of coke and some brown sugar. You can use caffeine free Coke if you like but DO NOT use Diet Coke. After it marinades pour all of it into the crock pot and let it cook away.
About an hour before serving pull it out of the crockpot and shred it. Discard the liquid and put the meat back into the crock pot. Then add in the enchilada sauce.
Allow it to cook in the crockpot for another 30 -60 minutes. Then serve it along with cilantro lime rice and cafe rio black beans. Top it with a little Monterey Jack or cotija cheese and wrap it up in a tortilla for a delicious quick and easy meal.
Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Recipe
Delicious sweet pulled pork perfect for your favorite Mexican food dish.
- 3 lbs. boneless pork carnitas, shoulder etc
- 12 oz Coke 1 can
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 10 oz. enchilada sauce can
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 oz diced greenchileis small can
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- Marinade pork for at least 2 hours or overnight in can of coke and 1/4 C brown sugar.
- Pour pork and liquid into crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove meat and shred. Discard liquid
- Put meat back in crock pot and add enchilada sauce, garlic, green chilies and brown sugar.
- Cook for 30-60 more minutes. If there is excess liquid drain some off.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.