Making Instant Pot mashed potatoes is life changing and it couldn’t he easier! This recipe is perfect for the upcoming holidays or any day!
I’ve confessed to this before, in my post on easy mashed potatoes, but my husband has always been the mashed potato maker in our family. When you are born and raised in Idaho you come into this world loving and knowing how to make mashed potatoes! So, I have always just let him make them. He’s not much of a cook but he can make a mean batch of mashed potatoes.
I have discovered though that making mashed potatoes is pretty easy and it’s even easier when you make mashed potatoes in the instant pot!
Instant Pot Potatoes
- The first step is to choose your potato. Our favorite are russet potatoes but we have also used red potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes.
- Peel and cube. We usually peel our potatoes, my husband prefers them that way but you an leave the skin on if you are using red or Yukon gold. It gives the potatoes some fun color and texture. We cube them into about 1-1 1/2 inch size pieces.
- Add water. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the Instant Pot and 1 teaspoon of salt. Put on the lid and turn the valve to seal.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 10-12 minutes. Do a quick release.
- Add butter and milk. Use warm milk, it makes the potatoes creamier. I will use whole milk or if I’m feeling crazy I use whipping cream or half and half. Use whatever is in the fridge. I’ve even used a combination before.
- Mash or whip the potatoes. You can mash the potatoes by hand using a masher which will give you a rougher texture to your mashed potatoes.
If you prefer a creamier, smoother texture, whip your potatoes with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer. Then you have whipped potatoes.
Salt and pepper to taste. I have also added in garlic powder to give them an extra kick of flavor.
Check out more of my favorite Instant Pot recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Pressure Cooked Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs. potatoes peeled and cubed (russets, red or Yukon Gold)
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1/4 cup milk warm. can also use whipping cream or half and half
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tsp garlic powder optional
- chives for garnish
- butter for garnish
- Place peeled and cube potatoes into Instant Pot
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and turn valve to seal.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 10-12 minutes. Use a quick release.
- Drain water from potatoes. Mash by hand with a potato masher or use a hand mixer.
- Add remaining salt, pepper and garlic power if desired.
- Add additional butter and chives to top for garnish.