Shepherd’s Pie is the ultimate in comfort food and one the whole family will love My Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is the perfect solution when that comfort craving hits.
I’ve always been intrigued by how things get their names and what their story is so I did a little research on shepherd’s pie. It originally comes from England and is usually made with lamb. Here in the US we are more into beef so it is commonly made with beef in the United States. It is also called a cottage pie in England and it is basically what we would call a casserole. It is layers of cooked meat and vegetables with a layer of mashed potatoes on top.
You get a whole meal all in one bite!
How do you make Shepherd’s Pie?
I start with a couple pounds of hamburger that I cook up with onion, adding in frozen peas and carrots along with diced tomatoes and tomato paste. You want a nice soupy, gravy like consistency to the mixture. I like making mine in my cast iron skillet. I can cook up the meat mixture in the skillet and then just layer the potatoes on top and put it right into the oven. Only one pan to clean!
You will need about four cups of mashed potatoes. This is a perfect dish to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes or you can make up a batch of potatoes specifically for shepherd’s pie with my easy and creamy mashed potato recipe.
After layering on the potatoes, pop it in the oven. If all your ingredients are already hot, you can put it under the broiler for a few minutes to get the potatoes browned and crispy on top. If your meat mixture and potatoes are cold, bake them at 350 degrees F for 20 minute or until heated through. Then put under the broiler if you’d like your potatoes browner and crispier.
Shepherd’s Pie is the ultimate in comfort food. Creamy mashed potatoes with a meat sauce gravy! It is a hearty and delicious meal that the whole family will love.
Check out more of my favorite comfort food recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1.5-2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups carrots & peas frozen mixture
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley garnish
- In a large cast iron skillet brown hamburger along with onions and garlic until meat is cooked through. Drain any grease
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir to incorporate. Cook for an additional minute.
- Add in tomatoes, vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and seasonings.
- Stir and simmer until it thickens into a nice gravy consistency.
- Top with warm mashed potatoes and smooth to cover.
- Place under broiler for a few minutes to crisp up and brown potatoes
- Notes: If meat mixture and potatoes are cold. Cook in a 350 degrees F oven for about 20 minutes or until heated through and then place under broiler if needed to brown potatoes.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.