Do you love the warm, buttery soft pretzels you can buy at the mall? These homemade soft pretzels are even better!
Everyone from sports fans to mall shoppers love soft pretzels. And what isn’t to love about the warm, salty, buttery snack. Now you can make them at home for a big game or just a family snack. And once you make them, you will be looking for excuses to make them again.
How to Make Soft Pretzels
After your soft pretzel dough has risen for about 30 minutes, divide the dough into 8-16 pieces. The recipe will make 8 larger pretzels like you would buy at a sporting event. But I love to use the smaller size for game day parties.
Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 15-20 inches in length., form each rope into a pretzel shape.
Then dip each pretzel into a mixture of water and baking soda. This gives the pretzels that nice golden brown color. Once dipped, place pretzels on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Sprinkle them with kosher salt and allow them to rise, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
Bake at 500 degree for about 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and brush each pretzel with melted butter. The more, the better! Don’t skimp here!!
Finally, remove from the cookie sheet and enjoy! These are best eaten warm. They can be reheated in the microwave.
If you like this recipe you might also enjoy:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Soft Pretzel Recipe
- 2 1/2 C bread flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 C warm water
- 1/2 C warm water
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In your mixer combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Stir to combine and then add 1 C warm water.
- Using bread hook, mix the dough until a soft, smooth dough forms. Knead for about 5-6 minutes.
- Cover dough with a clean cloth and allow to rise for 30-60 minutes. (I was short on time and only did it for 30 minutes)
- Place dough on floured counter and divide into 8-16 pieces depending on what size pretzels you want.
- For pretzels the size of the "mall pretzels" make 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope, about 15-20 inches long. Form into a pretzel shape.
- Together 1/2 C warm water and 2 Tbsp baking soda. Stir to dissolve soda.
- Dip pretzel front and back into water mixture.
- Place on baking sheet covered with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Don't skimp here!
- Enjoy warm! Can be reheated in microwave
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted January 9, 2013
If you’ve tried these soft pretzels or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!