Dip your soft pretzels into a delicious queso cheese pretzel dipping sauces or mustard sauce. It’s the perfect party appetizer.
One of our favorite game day or party appetizers are fresh and warm soft pretzels with a fun selection of pretzel dipping sauces. If you are not in the mood or don’t have time to make homemade pretzels you can pick up a bag of store bought pretzels. You will find them in the freezer section of the grocery store. Soft pretzel bites work great too for dipping.
- Butter. Salted butter
- Flour. All purpose flour
- Milk. I used whole milk.
- Beer. Can also substitute chicken broth but it will alter the flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese. You can use a combo of white and yellow but I used all yellow. Start with shredded cheese.
- Grainy Mustard. Can substitute your favorite mustard such as honey mustard.
- Seasoning. Oregano, pepper, cayenne, salt
How to Make Cheese Sauce for Pretzels
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter. Add in flour and whisk together.
- Cook for 2 minutes to form a roux or thickener forms.
- Add in milk and beer and whisk until lumps disappear
You can use chicken stock or broth instead of beer in this dip recipe. The flavor will change but it will still be delicious.
- Add in grated cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle in seasoning and in mustard, stir to incorporate. Mixture should be nice and smooth and ready for dipping!
Other Pretzel Dipping Sauces
Dulce de Leche
For a sweet pretzel dipping sauces, make up a batch of dulce de leche in your crock pot, it makes a delicious dipping sauce.
Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Hot fudge sauce is another fun sweet pretzel dipping sauce. Use my mom’s hot fudge recipe.
Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauces
Combine mayo, dijon mustard (or another variety), brown sugar, cider vinegar and salt. Mix until combined. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. You can play around with your mustards, a spicy mustard would work well too.
You can serve it in a bowl and reheat in the microwave as needed. You can also serve it directly out of a small crockpot on the warm setting. A fondue pot also works well for keeping it warm.
You can totally change up the type of cheese depending on what you have on hand.
The cheeses that melt the smoothest are:
Vegetable such as carrots, celery and broccoli
This pretzel dipping sauce would be perfect used as a cheese fondue too. Just keep it warm in your fondue pot.
I am not a beer drinker so I always buy what ever the cheapest beer is!
How long will Cheese Sauce last?
Keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge and it will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
For more delicious treat ideas check out these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Pretzel Dipping Sauce
Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste and to garnish on top. Could also use tabasco sauce.
Cheese Dipping Sauce
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in milk and beer, stirring until all the lumps are gone.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano and cayenne pepper and mustard.
- Serve warm.
- Sprinkle top with some additional cayenne pepper if desired.
Tips & Notes:
Originally posted January 10, 2013