Caramelized Apples with Dulce de Leche with some vanilla ice cream and you have a simple yet delicious dessert.
Last week I was talking with my good friend Deb who lives in Michigan. Deb is an amazing cook. She was having dinner guests that evening and was describing the menu to me – if Deb was making it I knew it would be good. So of course I asked for the recipes.
What is Dulce de Leche?
I am a big dulce de leche fan since our visit to Argentina years ago. Dulce de leche is pretty much a staple in that country. It is a thick caramel sauce – yum! They serve it on everything in Argentina. At our hotel the breakfast buffet would have a huge, punch bowl size container of dulce de leche every morning. You could spread it on your toast, pour it over your fruit or just eat it straight like I did!
This is a simple dessert . You almost think it’s healthy because there are apples in it!! But it is one of those desserts that after you finish it, you keep thinking about it. While we were playing cards after dinner more than one of us said out loud, ” That dessert was really good!”
In fact, since we had some left over dulce de leche I browned up a few more apples after school yesterday and Tessa and I enjoyed it again. And it was just as good the second time!
How to Make Dulce de Leche
You can purchase dulce de leche in some grocery stores but it can be hard to find. Making your own dulce de leche is an easy process – it just takes time. Dulce de leche literally means “sweet milk” and is basically sweetened condensed milk that has been cooked, in the can. I like to do it in the crock pot and let it cook overnight.
How to Caramelize Apples
Place sliced apples into a pan with butter. Cool apples until they are browned and soft, not mushy. Then just sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Place apples in a bowl, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then a generous drizzle of dulce de leche. Eat immediately!!
Some other favorite ways to use Dulce de Leche:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Caramelized Apple and Dulce De Leche Recipe
Dulce de Leche and Apples
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 apples peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 in. slices (I usually use a mix of apples)
- 3 tsp. cinnamon sugar
- Good quality vanilla ice cream
- Dulce de Leche warmed
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add apple slices and saute for about 10 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over apples and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they are nicely browned and softened but not mushy
- Remove from heat and keep warm
- Scoop ice cream into individual bowls
- Spoon warm apples over and then the warm dulce de leche over the apples.
- Serve immediately
Dulce de Leche
- Put unopened can of condensed milk in large heavy saucepan that is higher than the can.
- Add water to come about three-quarters of the way up the sides of the can and bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Reduce heat to a very low simmer, partially cover and cook, turning the can over at the halfway point (45 minutes), for a total of 1 1/2 hours
- (You can remove the wrapper in the water with tongs when it falls off.)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat
- Let the can cool in the pan of water until it reaches room temperature
- Open the can and pour the contents into a small bowl
- Stir in the vanilla
- The mixture should be very thick and taste like a rich caramel sauce
- Cover and refrigerate
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!