Top this Apple Dulce de Leche with some vanilla ice cream and you have a simple yet delicious dessert.
Last week I was talking with my good friend Deb who lives in Michigan. Deb is an amazing cook. She was having dinner guests that evening and was describing the menu to me – if Deb was making it I knew it would be good. So of course I asked for the recipes.
My parents were coming for dinner last Sunday so it was the perfect opportunity to try out one of Deb’s recipes – Dulce de Leche and Apples.
I am a big dulce de leche fan since our visit to Argentina several years ago. Dulce de leche is pretty much a staple in that country. Dulce de leche is like a thick caramel sauce – yum! They serve it on everything in Argentina. At our hotel the breakfast buffet would have a huge, punch bowl size container of dulce de leche every morning. You could spread it on your toast, pour it over your fruit or just eat it straight like I did!
So when Deb sent me this dessert recipe that used dulce de leche I knew I had to try it – and I am so glad I did!!
This is a simple dessert – ice cream, browned apples and dulce de leche. You almost think it’s healthy because there are apples in it!! But it is one of those desserts that after you finish it – you keep thinking about it. While we were playing cards after dinner more than one of us said out loud, ” That dessert was really good!”
In fact, since we had some left over dulce de leche I browned up a few more apples after school yesterday and Tessa and I enjoyed it again. And it was just as good the second time!
Making your own dulce de leche is an easy process – it just takes time. Dulce de leche literally means “sweet milk” and is basically sweetened condensed milk that has been boiled, in the can, for at least an hour and a half. You need to plan ahead to make the dulce de leche but it can be done ahead of time and just refrigerated until you are ready to use it.
The apples are just browned in butter until they are brown and soft – not mushy. Then just sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
The apples above are about half way there. Not quite brown or soft enough.
Here is the finished product – yum!! Just scoop up some good vanilla ice cream, add the apples and then drizzle on LOTS of dulce de leche! Eat immediately!!!!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 apples peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 in. slices (I usually use a mix of apples)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Good quality vanilla ice cream
- Dulce de Leche warmed
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add apple slices and saute for about 10 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle sugar over apples and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they are nicely browned and softened but not mushy
- Remove from heat and keep warm
- (Sometimes I sprinkle a little cinnamon in with the sugar too.)
- Scoop ice cream into individual bowls
- Spoon warm apples over and then the warm dulce de leche over the apples.
- Serve immediately
- Put unopened can of condensed milk in large heavy saucepan that is higher than the can.
- Add water to come about three-quarters of the way up the sides of the can and bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Reduce heat to a very low simmer, partially cover and cook, turning the can over at the halfway point (45 minutes), for a total of 1 1/2 hours
- (You can remove the wrapper in the water with tongs when it falls off.)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat
- Let the can cool in the pan of water until it reaches room temperature
- Open the can and pour the contents into a small bowl
- Stir in the vanilla
- The mixture should be very thick and taste like a rich caramel sauce
- Cover and refrigerate
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!