Apple Crisp is my favorite fall dessert and this crisp has a secret ingredient that makes it even better!
This apple crisp recipe is from my sister in law Jayna. We had it for the first time years ago when we were visiting her in Pennsylvania and it has been my “Go To” crisp recipe ever since. As I remember, it was a nice fall day when she served it!
Best Apple Crisp Recipe
The thing that makes this apple crisp recipe so good is that it uses graham cracker crumbs in the topping – which is the best part of a crisp! The “crisp” part of this recipe is so good you will want to eat it all by itself – it would be yummy over any type of crisp (berry, peach etc.) or just by itself on top of ice cream! Did I mentioned I love the “crisp” part of apple crisp!!
What is The Best Kind of Apple for Apple Crisp?
I like to use a tart green apple like Granny Smith but have also used Honey Crisp or Golden Delicious.
How to Make Apple Crisp
- Core, peel and slice apples. I like to cut my apples about 1/4 inch thick. If they are too thin they will get mushy as they bake and if they are too thick, they won’t get tender enough.
- Place sliced apples into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix together crisp topping by combining
Does Apple Crisp Have To Be Refrigerated?
I recommend keeping it stored in the refrigerator. It will extend the shelf life of the crisp and prevent the growth of bacteria, especially if it is warm. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and keep refrigerated for up to a week.
It is easy to reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
How to Serve Apple Crisp?
I think it is best served warm but can also be served at room temperature. We always serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream but cinnamon whip cream would be yummy too. Of course caramel sauce is required too. You can find my favorite caramel sauce recipe here. Just drizzle it over the top.
Welcome fall with this delicious dessert!
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Apple Crisp Recipe
- 4-6 Granny Smith apples large
- 8 sheets graham crackers
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Peel, core, slice apples.
- Finely chop graham crackers (I use my food processor).
- Combine crumbs, sugar, oats, flour and spices.
- Add butter; mix well.
- Place apple slices in a 9 x 9 pan or an 8 x 11 pan.
- Spoon crumb mixture over apple slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes
- Serve warm with ice cream.