If I had to pick a favorite soup, it would be tomato soup. It’s my favorite canned soup and my favorite homemade soup.
A few weeks ago I was out of town and our wonderful neighbors invited Jim over for dinner and to watch a baseball game. (Way to go Cardinals!) He was in heaven. The fact that he got to watch it with his buddy Declan made it even more fun. (Declan is eight)
When I talked to Jim that night he couldn’t stop talking about the delicious soup Katie had served for dinner. So of course, I had to have the recipe and Katie graciously shared.
I have another tomato soup recipe here on the blog. This is a delicious recipe but it does use fresh, vine ripened tomatoes. Some times of the year finding a decent vine ripened tomato can be a challenge. So now you have another alternative – today’s recipe. This recipe used canned tomatoes and it just as delicious!
I tweeked the recipe just a bit and Jim gave it two thumbs up! Tomato soup is the perfect comfort food. Throw in a grilled sandwich and you’ve got heaven!
- 1/2 C onion diced
- 1/4 C butter
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans petit cut diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C half and half
- In a large pan saute the onions in butter until tender.
- Add in tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda, chicken broth and thyme.
- Bring to a boil
- Then turn heat down to simmer for about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Allow mixture to cool
- Put into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- You can strain out any solid pieces but I didn't.
- Return to saucepan or refrigerate.
- Right before serving bring to a simmer and half and half.
- Do not allow to boil after adding half and half.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!