Slow Cooker Irish Stew is the perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day or any day. Hearty and delicious!
I realize this is not authentic Irish Stew. Real Irish Stew is made with Guinness, the national beverage of Ireland. We don’t drink alcohol at our house so I made a substitute for Guinness in this recipe by using more beef broth in it’s place. So for those of you who want an authentic Irish Stew and cook with alcohol feel free to sub out some of the beef broth for Guinness.
Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a special dinner? I never made much of a fuss over St. Patrick’s Day when my kids were little. I use to figure that since I wasn’t Irish, I didn’t need to celebrate. Then a few years ago I took a DNA test and discovered that I was 25% Irish!! Who knew! I figured I better start celebrating.
I know a lot of people like to serve a dinner of all green food for St. Patrick’s Day and if you are looking for some green foods to serve be sure and check out this list of green foods for St. Patrick’s Day. I prefer to celebrate with more “authentic” Irish Food, I am Irish after all. Last year I shared a recipe for Slow Cooker Corned Beef which is always a good option for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration. A loaf of Irish Soda Bread goes perfectly with the Corned Beef or with today’s recipe for Irish Stew.
How to Make Irish Stew
I used stew meat for the stew but you could also cut up a chuck roast. I coated the meat in flour, salt and pepper and then browned it in oil. Place the meat in the slow cooker and cover it with a mixture of beef broth (and Guinness if desired), onion, garlic, tomato paste, soy sauce, sugar and some thyme, parsley and bay leaf.
Let it cook on high for four hours and then add in the carrots and potatoes and cook for an additional hour on high.
The stew smells wonderful while cooking and tastes delicious too. It has great flavor. I like putting the carrots and potatoes in for just the last hour so they don’t get too soft but if you need to put them in at the beginning that will definitely work.
Check out more delicious recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Irish Stew
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck or stew meat
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. red potatoes quartered
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into one inch pieces
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large zippered plastic bag. Add in meat and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat and cook meat until browned on all sides.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Add onion into same pan that you cooked the meat in and cook until onion is golden brown. Add in beef broth and garlic. Bring to a boil. Scrape up pieces of food from bottom of pan.
- Add in parsley, thyme, bay leaves, sugar, soy sauce and tomato paste.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cook on high for 4 hours and then add in potatoes and carrots and cook one additional hour.
Leave a Review