Get your Irish on with these Grasshopper Chocolate Mint Cookies. They are the perfect way to wear your green.
I am a big chocolate and mint fan. I think it’s a pretty perfect combo. I’m not sure why people started calling the chocolate mint combination grasshopper? I get that grasshoppers are green but they aren’t chocolate, unless you dip them in chocolate which I’ve heard people do!
Wherever the name came from, I love the combo. Whether it is in the form of a Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie or in a cookie, give me all the grasshopper flavored foods! (the chocolate and mint variety that is!!) These BYU Mint Brownies are another favorite mint treat around here.
The base of this cookie is a nice soft chocolate sugar cookie which totally stands on it’s own, no frosting required. But you can make them even better by adding a topping of mint flavored butter cream and a sprinkle of Andes mint candies.
Eat a few of these on St. Patrick’s Day and you won’t have to worry about getting pinched. Just leave a little frosting in the corners of your mouth so they can see you are wearing your green.
Printable Recipe for Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cookies
Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cookies
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 tsp mint
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- green food coloring
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- Andes Mints or Andes Mint Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place granulated sugar in shallow dish; set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder in bowl.
- In another bowl beat butter, brown sugar and salt together until fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in flour mixture and mix well.
- Form dough into balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and use hand or the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar to flatten cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Mix together frosting ingredients. Adding enough milk to get a nice spreading consistency.
- Sprinkle with chopped up Andes Mints
For some more fun St. Patrick’s Day treats check out:
Green Velvet Cupcakes from Love From the Oven
St. Patrick’s Day Dipped Oreos from Your Homebased Mom
Leprechaun Bait from Wishes and Dishes
Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats from Browned Eye Baker
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.