Have you ever wondered how to toast coconut? Here are three simple ways to toast coconut perfectly every time.
Toasted Coconut is the perfect way to add texture, flavor and color to many different treats. It’s a perfect way to garnish cakes, cupcakes, cookies and even muffins. I love the nutty flavor it gives the coconut and the crisp texture.
How to Toast Coconut on the Stove Top
For all three methods, I prefer using sweetened coconut but you can also use unsweetened coconut. It can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store or in the bulk bins.
- With the stove top method, you have a little more control over your toasted coconut but you do need to watch it closely.
- I like to use my cast iron pan to toast coconut on the stove top. I add a single layer of coconut to the pan, about a cup or so, depending on the size of your cast iron pan. You can also use a regular frying pan if you don’t have a cast iron pan.
- Over medium to medium low heat, use a wooden spoon to stir the coconut as it cooks. I keep a constant eye on it so it doesn’t burn. With a cast iron pan, the coconut will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat so if you don’t want it to get any more brown, remove it from the pan and allow it to cool on a plate or baking sheet.
How to Toast Coconut in Oven
- To toast coconut in the oven, spread your coconut on a baking sheet. One of the benefits of using the oven is you can do a larger batch at one time since your baking sheet is bigger than a cast iron pan. Again, spread it in a thin layer.
- Place baking sheet in a 325 degrees F oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden grown. Stir several times during baking process. Sweetened coconut will take less time than unsweetened coconut and the sugar makes the process faster. Again, keep a close eye on it.
How to Toast Coconut in Microwave
- Place your coconut in a thin layer on a microwave safe plate. I usually can only do about a 1/2 cup at a time in the microwave, it will depend on the size of your microwave.
- Microwave on high in 30 second intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds. Continue until it turns golden brown.
As you can see all three methods will give you the same results so choose your preference.
How to Store Toasted Coconut
You can store toasted coconut in an airtight container for four to five days. You can also place it in an airtight container and freeze it. It will last for several months that way. Freezing the coconut will make it a little chewier which isn’t necessarily a bad thing! Allow it to come to room temperature before using it again. You can also put it on a baking sheet and put it in the oven at 300 degrees F for a few minutes to crisp it up again.
Toasted Coconut Recipe
How to Toast Coconut
- 1 cup coconut sweetened
Stove Top Method
- Place a thin layer of coconut into a cast iron pan over medium to medium low heat. Stir continually until golden brown, 5-10 minutes. Remove from cast iron pan to a plate or baking sheet to cool.
- Place a thin layer of coconut on a microwave safe plate or dish and microwave on high in 30 seconds increments. Stir after each 30 seconds. Continue until golden brown.
- Place a thin layer of coconut on a baking sheet and bake in a 325 degrees F. oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring several times. Bake until golden brown.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.