This tender Slow Cooker Greek Pork Gyro has amazing flavor, only requires a few ingredients and is so simple to make in the crock pot.
Why You’ll Love this Greek Pork Gyro
First, it’s done in the slow cooker so you can start it in the morning and dinner is ready when you are!
Second, the flavor is amazing and it only has three ingredients using only a pork roast, some Greek seasoning and a bottle of peperoncini peppers!
Third, it’s versatile. You can serve it over rice, on a sandwich or we like to serve it in some pita bread with the creamy cucumber sauce on top. (recipe below)
- Pork. I use a boneless pork roast, you can also use a shoulder roast, pork loin or a butt roast for this Greek pork gyro. Boneless works best
- Greek Seasoning. You can use store bought or make your own at home using the recipe below.
- Peperoncini Peppers. This come in a jar in the pickle aisle. They are not spicy but have a wonderful mild flavor. Use the juice and the peppers.
What is Greek Seasoning?
You can purchase Greek Seasoning in the spice aisle or you can make your own with spices you have at home. It is a combination of majoram, oregano, thyme, basil, marjoram, onion and garlic.
How to Make Slow Cooker Greek Pork Gyro
- Put pork into slow cooker
- Sprinkle with Greek Seasoning.
- Pour liquid from peperoncini peppers in and around the pork, not over the top.
- Sprinkle peppers on top of pork.
- Cook on high for a cook time of about 4 hours or low for 6-8.
- Shred pork with a fork and then let it sit in the liquid for 5-10 minutes to allow meat to absorb the liquid.
Cucumber Yogurt Sauce Ingredients
- Plain Greek yogurt. I used low fat but you can use 0% fat or whole milk yogurt.
- Red wine vinegar. Can also use white wine vinegar
- Lemon. Juice and zest.
- Cucumber. I like using a English cucumber. Peel, seed and finely chopped.
- Green onions, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Oregano. I used dried oregano, if using fresh, use twice as much.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
While the Greek pork gyro meat is cooking mix up your cucumber sauce and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours or even over night. The flavor gets better as it sits.
- Skin and chop up one cucumber.
- Add in yogurt, and remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate the yogurt sauce for at least 2 hours to overnight.
How to Serve Greek Pork Gyro
Pita Bread. Our favorite way to serve it is on some pita bread or some type of wrap bread, topped with the cucumber yogurt sauce and some fresh chopped tomato. You can also top it with some red onion or feta cheese if you like.
Over Rice. Greek Pork also delicious served over rice, either white or brown rice.
Tips from Leigh Anne
- When possible, always cook your meat on low in the slow cooker. You will get more tender meat this way. If you just don’t have the time, use high.
- To make cleanup easier, use a slow cooker liner bag.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make Greek Pork Gyro in the Instant Pot, add the pork in and sprinkle with seasoning. Pour the liquid from the peppers around the pork making sure to not wash the seasoning off. Place peppers on top of meat.
Cook on meat setting for 35 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release. Be sure valve is set to sealing.
Not at all, it is a very mild pepper and just gives the dish great flavor. It is totally kid and toddler friendly.
You can, tenderloin is smaller so it will need less cook time. Tenderloin is usually more expensive so I like to use a less expensive cut of pork in the crockpot and save the tenderloin for baking or grilling.
For more delicious recipes try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Greek Pork Gyro
- 3 lb. pork carnitas, shoulder or tenderloin
- 2 Tbsp Greek Seasoning see below
- 16 oz. jar of pepperoncini peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small cucumber peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Place pork, seasoning and peppers along with the juice into slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 or until pork pulls apart easily.
- Combine all seasonings together
- Stir together yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, cucumber, green onion, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with pita bread or over rice.
Originally posted February 19, 2014