Creating a homemade version of a delicious chicken gyro is easier than you think. The chicken is marinated and then grilled to perfection!
Last year on our cruise to the Greek Isles one of the top things on my to eat list was a real Greek Gyro in Greece. I’m happy to say I accomplished that goal several times. Yum!
I’m excited to share my Americanized version with you. The chicken is marinated in a yummy yogurt and herb based marinade. Then we grilled the chicken and sliced it thin. Gyros are traditionally made with lamb, chicken or pork and cooked on a vertical rotisserie. But since I don’t have a traditional rotisserie, the grill worked great!
A chicken gyro is wrapped in naan, pita bread or flat bread. You can buy the bread at the store or I have a great recipe for some delicious homemade soft flat bread that works perfectly.
I topped my chicken gyro with red onion, fresh tomato and tzatziki, a traditional Greek sauce. I have a recipe to make it yourself but you can also often find it in the deli section of your grocery store.
A chicken gyro can be a little messy to eat but so worth it! Just pile everything on top and wrap it up and enjoy!
Some other delicious dinner ideas:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Chicken Gyro Recipe
- 16 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 hothouse cucumber or 1 regular cucumber peeled and seeded (I used 1/2 of an English cucumber)
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- lemon juiced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil to get desired consistency.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld
- Combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl, whisk together
- Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours
- Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet, broiler or on the grill. When cooked through, allow to rest for 5 minutes and then slice thinly
- Serve on naan or soft wrap bread. Top bread with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and sliced onions
- Serve immediately
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Originally published Dec. 29, 2009