This classic coconut cream pie is made with a delicious custard filling and topped with sweetened whipped cream and toasted coconut.
When I was in college and dating my husband one of his roommates worked at Marie Callenders Pie Shop. One of the perks of working there was he was able to bring home the leftover cream pies at the end of the day. Lucky for us he shared and I developed a love for cream pies that year! One of the favorite cream pies that always seems to disappear first at our Wilkes family Thanksgivings is the coconut cream pie.
I love making my coconut cream pie with a graham cracker crust and have an easy tutorial on how to make a graham cracker crust for you here. You can also use a pastry crust if you prefer, just be sure and blind bake the crust before filling it. The instructions for my perfect pie crust and blind baking can be found here.
How to Make a Coconut Cream Pie
- Start with your baked pie crust, either a graham cracker crust or a pastry crust.
- Use instant vanilla pudding mix. Add in a combination of vanilla and coconut extract. Instant pudding is different than the Cook & Serve variety of pudding. I like the flavor of using vanilla pudding with extract much better than using coconut pudding.
- Always use whole milk when making pudding, you get a richer, fuller flavor.
- Use sweetened coconut but you can also use unsweetened. Toast 1/4 cup of the coconut to sprinkle on top, the rest is folded in with the pudding mixture. Follow my How to Toast Coconut tutorial here.
- Make your sweetened whipping cream using this tutorial.
- Use half of the whipped cream with the pudding and the rest is used to top the pie with.
- Chill the pie for several hours or overnight before serving.
- Sprinkle the top with the toasted coconut right before serving so it doesn’t get soft in the refrigerator.
How long will a Coconut Cream Pie last?
If by some chance you have leftover coconut cream pie, you will want to make sure to store it properly. Coconut cream pie will keep for three to four days in the fridge. Just cover the pie loosely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. If you want to make the pie ahead of time, I recommend storing the covered pie in the fridge before you add the whipped cream and toasted coconut to the top and adding them right before you serve the pie.
Check out more of my favorite easy pie recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9 inch graham cracker crust
- 2 3.4 oz. vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- In a large bowl combine pudding, milk, and extracts and stir until thickened.
- Fold in 1 cup of sweetened flaked coconut into the pudding mixture.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp of powdered sugar to the whipping cream and whip until firm.
- Fold half of the whipped whipping cream into pudding mixture.
- Add pudding mixture into prepared crust. Top with remaining 1 cup of whipped cream and toasted coconut.
- Chill for several hours over overnight. Serve chilled.