Full of flavor and easy to make, this Thai coconut curry chicken is the perfect family meal for a busy weeknight schedule!
Dairy Free Chicken Curry
We’ve been trying a dairy free and gluten free trial diet at our house recently. I look at this type of eating and cooking as a challenge. It is important to me to be able to serve my family food that is good for them but that also tastes good and I don’t want them feeling like they are missing out because of their diet restrictions. I get a lot of satisfaction from finding a yummy recipe that I can adapt to fit their eating restrictions. The best part of today’s coconut curry chicken recipe was I didn’t have to adapt a thing – it was naturally dairy free and gluten free!
When it comes to cooking dairy free I found that I really like cooking with coconut milk. It is a great substitute for cream or milk in your recipes and the coconut flavor is not over powering.
Easy Dinner idea
There are lots of things I love about this recipe. One is that it is easy! It comes together quickly (less than 20 minutes) and then cooks for about an hour total.
Second, it’s delicious. It has wonderful flavor thanks to the curry powder, coconut milk, garlic and tomatoes. It smells heavenly while it cooks and beware your house will smell like curry for a while afterwards too but that’s o.k. with me because I love the smell of curry.
How to make Coconut Curry Chicken
- I used boneless skinless chicken thighs but you could also make this with chicken breasts.
- Cut the chicken up into 1/2 inch chunks and season it with salt and pepper.
- Add the curry into hot oil and cook for a few minutes. Then add the onions and cook until they soften.
- Add in the chicken and stir to coat. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour in the coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
What to Serve with Coconut Curry Chicken
Check out more of my favorite chicken recipes:
Coconut Curry Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs. bonless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch chuncks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 14 oz coconut milk canned
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 8 oz tomato sauce canned
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in pan and add in curry powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add in garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken and stir to coat with curry mixture. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Pour in coconut milk, tomatoes, sauce and sugar.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes