This Tom Kha Gai Soup, also known as Thai Coconut Chicken Soup, is full of amazing flavor. It is rich and creamy and has a bit of a tang to it.
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
My kids love Thai food. I usually play it pretty safe and order some type of chicken and cashew over rice dish but my children have a little more sophisticated taste than I do. Tessa introduced me to one of her favorite Tom Kha Soup also known as Thai Coconut Chicken Soup.
What is Tom Kha Gai Soup?
Tom Kha Gai basically translates to Chicken Soup and is a delicious Thai Coconut Chicken Soup. Because it is made with coconut milk, the soup is dairy free.
- Coconut Milk. Be sure and use coconut milk, not coconut cream which is much heavier. You can use lite coconut milk if you prefer.
- Curry Paste. I used green curry paste and found it in the Asian aisle at the grocery store. Green curry is the mildest followed by yellow and red. If you prefer more heat in your soup use yellow or red.
- Chicken. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Lime Juice. Traditionally this soup uses lemongrass but that can be hard to find so we have used lime juice to give it a similar flavor.
- Seasoning. Cilantro, Ginger (fresh), Sugar, Salt
- Soy Sauce. Use Fish sauce or Tamari for gluten free version.
- Vegetables. Carrots and mushrooms
- Chicken Broth
How to Serve Tom Kha Soup
Traditionally the soup is served with a side of sticky rice which you can add to the soup.
How to Make Sticky Rice
- Use a short or medium grain white rice.
- Rinse the rice in a strainer.
- Use a rice cooker or cook on the stove top.
- Add the rice to the water (2 cups rice to 3 cups water) and allow it to sit for 30 minutes before beginning to cook.
- Cook rice.
The soup has amazing flavor thanks to the curry paste, coconut milk, lime juice and some cilantro.
If you are looking for a delicious new soup to try with some fun new flavors Thai Coconut Chicken Soup is it. Even if you think you don’t like coconut, give it a try! The flavor is lovely and subtle.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
For some other delicious soups try these:
Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp ginger fresh minced
- 5 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or fish sauce for gluten free version
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 14 oz. coconut milk
- 2 chicken breasts skinless, boneless, cooked and thinly sliced into 1 inch strips
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 lb. white mushrooms trimmed and sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 cups short grain white rice or medium grain
- Heat oil in pan. Stir in ginger and curry paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in 1/2 C of chicken broth and stir until the curry paste has dissolved
- Add in remaining broth, soy sauce and sugar.
- Add in carrots and simmer until fork tender.
- Add in coconut milk, chicken and mushrooms. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add in lime juice, season with salt and add in cilantro before serving.
- Rinse rice in a strainer.
- Place in pan or rice cooker in 3 C of water.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a pan, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until rice is done (will be sticky)