Thai Basil Chicken is a recipe your family will love. And you will love how quick and easy it is to get on the table.
Today’s recipe is one I have made several times, especially when the kids were home and we were in the throws of play season. That meant busy hungry kids and not a lot of time to make dinner. I love stir fry meals because they are such a quick and easy way to throw together a yummy, nutritious, filling dinner. This Thai Basil Chicken is all of those things and more.
When I found myself with a surplus of garden fresh tomatoes and a of bunch of basil to use up last week I remembered how good this was the first time I made it. The green of the basil along with the red tomatoes makes for a pretty presentation too. I always serve it over rice, sometimes white and sometimes brown. Just depends on how healthy I’m feeling!
Because we do a lot of stir fry there are certain Asian ingredients I always try to have on hand – soy sauce, hoisin sauce, fish sauce and oyster sauce. All of them can be found in the Asian section of most grocery stores and are definitely worth keeping on hand.
This Thai Basil Chicken can come together in the time it takes to cook up a pot of rice. There is no marinading required. Just cook up the chicken and onions, add in the sauce, add the veggies and serve! So in about 20 minutes and one pan (other than the rice) you’ve got dinner!! Yeah for quick and easy dinner ideas.
Some of my other favorite quick and easy dinner ideas:
Some of my favorite go to kitchen tools I use to make Thai Basil Chicken:
5 QT. NON STICK FRYING PAN – this is my go to frying pan. The one I use more than any other. I love that it has a lid.
MAGNETIC MEASURING SPOONS – I love these things. They are magnetic so they stay together in the drawer
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
Thai Basil Chicken
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes If you like spicy, add a bit more
- 1 onion cut in half and sliced into thin strips
- 3 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce low sodium
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 bunch fresh basil about 1/2 cup, torn into pieces
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes
- Stir consistently for about 30-60 seconds, until fragrant (don’t let the garlic burn!)
- Add the sliced onions
- Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring every now and then, about five minutes
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes, until browned and cooked through
- Mix together the oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sugar and add into chicken
- Stir until everything is well coated
- Turn the heat down to medium low and sprinkle the tomatoes over the top of the mixture
- Tear the basil by hand and sprinkle it over the tomatoes
- While still on the stove over medium heat, let the tomatoes and basil sit, without stirring, for about 5 minutes to allow the basil to wilt slightly and the tomatoes to warm
- Stir the mixture until everything is well combined and heated through
- Serve immediately over rice
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Originally post February 1, 2011
Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe