Butter Chicken is a delicious, flavorable and easy dinner to put together. And a great dish to introduce your family to new flavors from other countries.
I am grateful that I have managed to raise four children who are much more adventurous eaters than I ever was. I think the fact that three of them have lived in foreign countries may have something to do with it. I have gotten better with age though. I am no longer that little girl who would only eat raw hot dogs (I know, yuck!!)
Today’s recipe for Butter Chicken is an Indian recipe. I was introduced to Indian food by my children and I am grateful for that introduction to a world of amazing spices and flavors I had not experienced before.
If you’d like to introduce your family to a little more foreign fare Butter Chicken is a safe and easy way to do it.
Butter Chicken uses a spice blend called Garam Masala. I purchased it at my local Indian Market but you can also make your own. It is a combination of pepper, cloves, cinnamon, cumin and caradmon. It has an amazing flavor.
The recipe starts with sauteing onion, ginger, jalapeno and oil. Despite the jalapeno pepper, this dish is not very spicy.
Then the garlic and garam masala and a little extra chili powder if you’d like are added in.
Put this mixture into your blender, add in tomato paste and chicken broth and pulse until smooth.
Put it back into your frying pan and add in half and half and let it come to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
In another pan heat 1 Tbsp butter over high heat. Salt and pepper chicken and add into pan. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add the sauce and simmer over medium heat. Add in remaining 3 Tbsp butter (now you know why it is called Butter Chicken!)
Serve Butter Chicken over rice.
Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder if extra heat is desired
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C half and half
- 3 chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 C butter
- cilantro chopped
- In a large pan saute onion, ginger and jalapeno pepper in oil.
- Stir until onion is lightly browned about 5 minutes. Add in garlic, garam masala and chili powder (if desired). Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Put mixture into blender. Add in tomato paste and chicken broth and pulse until smooth.
- Put mixture back in pan and add in half and half. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In another pan heat 1 Tbsp butter over high heat and add in chicken that has been salted and peppered.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add in sauce and stir. Cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add in 3 Tbsp butter and stir until melted.
- Serve over rice. Squeeze lime juice over mixture and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.