Butter Chicken is delicious, full of amazing flavor and an easy dinner to put together. It’s perfect for a busy night as it comes together in about 30 minutes.
Easy Dinner Idea
I am grateful that I have managed to raise four children who are much more adventurous eaters than I ever was. I think the fact that all four of them have lived in foreign countries may have something to do with it.
My children introduced me to Indian food and I am grateful for that introduction to a world of amazing spices and flavors I had not experienced before. Butter Chicken has become one of my favorite Indian dishes to make at home because it is so easy and the flavor is amazing.
What is Garam Masala?
Butter Chicken uses a spice blend called Garam Masala. I purchased it at my local grocery. It is a combination of pepper, cloves, cinnamon, cumin and cardamon. It has an amazing flavor and is a key ingredient in Butter Chicken.
How to Make Butter Chicken
- Saute onions, ginger and jalapeno pepper in a frying pan
- Add in your garlic. garam masala and a little extra chill powder if you want a bit more kick.
- Put this mixture into your blender,
- Add in tomato paste and chicken broth and pulse until smooth.
- Add mixture back into frying pan, add in milk and let it come to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter over high heat in another frying pan. Salt and pepper chicken and add into pan. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine the sauce and chicken and simmer over medium heat. Add in remaining 3 Tbsp butter (now you know why it is called Butter Chicken!
What to Serve with Butter Chicken
- Garnish the butter chicken with a squeeze of some fresh lime and a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro.
- A bowl of white or brown rice is a great way to soak up all those delicious gravy.
- Make a batch of delicious Naan bread, it’s perfect for scooping and dipping in the Butter Chicken!
Be sure and follow me on YouTube for lots of recipe videos!
Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder if extra heat is desired
- 1 6boz. tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cups half and half
- 3 chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- cilantro chopped
- In a large pan saute onion, ginger and jalapeno pepper in oil.
- Stir until onion is lightly browned about 5 minutes. Add in garlic, garam masala and chili powder (if desired). Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Put mixture into blender. Add in tomato paste and chicken broth and pulse until smooth.
- Put mixture back in pan and add in half and half. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In another pan heat 1 Tbsp butter over high heat and add in chicken that has been salted and peppered.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add in sauce and stir. Cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add in 3 Tbsp butter and stir until melted.
- Serve over rice. Squeeze lime juice over mixture and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Originally shared October 16, 2012