Homemade Healthy Granola has the perfect combination of texture, crunch and sweetness. Use it on top of ice cream, yogurt or eat it by the handful.
A good healthy granola is perfect for breakfast, for snacking or for gift giving. It’s easy to make and so much better than store bought granola.
Healthy Granola Ingredients
- Old Fashioned Oats. Don’t use the Quick Oats, there is a difference in nutritional value and in texture.
- Pure Maple Syrup.
- Brown Sugar
- Slivered or Sliced Almonds
- Chopped Pecans
- Dreid Cranberries
- Coconut Flakes
- Coconut Oil
How to Make Healthy Granola
- Combine oats, nuts, fruit and brown sugar into a bowl and toss to combine.
- In another bowl combine water, melted oil, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Pour the liquid over the dry mixture and stir until well coated, all of the liquid will not absorb into the oats
- Place mixture onto a large baking sheet. Bake in a 275 degree F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Set timer for 40 minutes, and then open oven and stir granola. Bake for another 30-40 minutes until granola is a golden brown. Watch it carefully the last 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- The granola may not seem really crisp when it first comes out of the oven but it will crisp up as it cools.
- After it cools, store the healthy granola in an air tight container.
You can create lots of different flavor variations of healthy granola by adding in or substituting ingredients.
- Nuts. Add in your favorite nuts. I have used walnuts, pepitas or whatever nut is hanging out in my cupboard. If you have a nut allergy, leave the nuts out.
- Seeds. Often I will add in sunflower seeds or flax seed for some extra texture.
- Fruit. Raisins, golden raisins, dried apricots or any kind of dried fruit will work well in granola.
- Maple Syrup. You can also use honey if you prefer.
- Extract. I also like to use almond flavoring or a combination of vanilla and almond.
- Oil. You can also use canola oil or olive oil.
- Other add ins. Adding in some mini chocolate chips after the granola has cooled adds a bit of goodness to it.
Check out more of our favorite breakfast recipes:
- 5 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup almonds slivered
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl combine oatmeal, coconut, almonds, pecans, cranberries and brown sugar. Stir to combine
- In smaller bowl combine maple syrup, water, melted coconut oil, salt and vanilla.
- Pour liquid mixture over oatmeal mixture and stir to coat.
- Spread oatmeal mixture onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake in a 275 degree F. oven for 40 minutes. Stir, Bake for an other 30-40 minutes. Check i every ten minutes. You want it to be golden brown.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.