These Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are bursting with flavor! A simple chocolate cake mix is turned into a luscious holiday treat. And then if that’s not enough, topped with Buttercream Peppermint Frosting.
Hello friends! I’m Liz from Hoosier Homemade
.Nothing beats a chocolate cupcake…except maybe one with peppermint. I love the cool creamy flavors of chocolate and peppermint together. Somehow it just screams the holidays to me.
So let’s get this party started…
These Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are perfect for any occasion really. But would make your Christmas Dessert Table shine! They are super easy to make too.
The cupcakes start with a simple chocolate cake mix, I used Devil’s Food. Then I like to add ingredients to make the mix taste homemade – milk instead of water, and 4 eggs instead of 3. And for these Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes, I added 2 teaspoons peppermint extract. You can add a little more if you like your flavor stronger.
After they are baked and cooled, I added Buttercream Peppermint Frosting, similar to my favorite Buttercream Frosting but instead of all butter, I substituted half with shortening to get the bright white color, and I added peppermint extract instead of vanilla. Often times vanilla can color frosting, unless you use white vanilla extract.
To frost the cupcakes, I filled a decorator bag fitted with a 2A decorator tip, and swirled on the frosting. Some of the cupcakes I added blue crystallized sprinkles and then a mini York Peppermint Pattie.
I’d love for you to follow along with us! Hoosier Homemade on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
And you can find more great holiday inspiration during our 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake Recipe
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup oil canola or vegetable
- 1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract - depending on how strong you like the flavor
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk - depending on consistency
- 1-2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- Blue Sprinkles
- Mini York Peppermint Pattie Candy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners in pans
- In a large bowl, combine cupcake ingredients and beat until smooth, about 5 minutes on medium speed
- Fill cupcake liners using a cookie dough scoop
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Whip butter and shortening until creamy
- Gradually add powdered sugar alternating with milk
- Beat in peppermint extract
- Fill a decorator bag fitted with a #2A tip with frosting
- Swirl on frosting
- Add sprinkles and candy if desired
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.