All of your favorite breakfast foods together for breakfast or dinner with a deliciously easy sausage and egg stack.
I love breakfast for dinner, especially since I am not a big breakfast for breakfast girl. My body is just not quite ready to eat first thing in the morning, it prefers breakfast in the liquid form. As a kid I lived on one of those chocolate drink mixes for breakfast and nowadays I enjoy my green smoothie my husband makes for me every morning. Got to get my veggies.
But breakfast for dinner is perfect. Today’s recipe is one of those “clean out the refrigerator” kind of recipes. It is perfect for those “there is nothing for dinner” type evenings too. A Sausage and Egg Stack is a complete breakfast or dinner – hash browns, sausage, eggs, cheese and a few vegetables. You just stack them one on top of the other.
The bottom layer is a potato pancake. I use frozen shredded hash browns to make it extra quick and easy but if you’re in the mood you could totally make your own hash browns. The shredded potatoes are mixed with some flour, egg, milk, salt & pepper, oil and dried onion. That helps hold the potato together.
Just fry it up in a little oil in your frying pan. I like mine extra crispy! (Yes, I know, I don’t eat potatoes but I will eat a potato pancake as long as it is EXTRA crispy!!)
Your next layer is some grated Cheddar cheese, chopped fresh tomato and green onion.
This recipe is one of those “not too exact” recipes. I just kind of mixed and sprinkled the amount I thought looked right but I’ll try my best to give you some exact measurements. I made it for two so that is what the recipe is for. It is an easy one though to double or triple!
So what do you prefer – breakfast for breakfast or breakfast for dinner??
Sausage and Egg Stack Recipe
Sausage and Egg Stack
- 2 C frozen hash brown potatoes grated (thawed)
- 1/8 C flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/8 C milk
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 lb. Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage browned
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 to mato chopped
- Mix together flour, seasoning, onion, egg, milk and oil.
- Add in hash browns.
- Add about 1 Tbsp oil to frying pan and heat.
- Add in potato pancake mixture and flatten with a spatula forming a large pancake.
- Allow to cook until desired crispyness on one side and then flip and cook on other side.
- Brown sausage.
- Scramble eggs and add in browned sausage.
- Stack eggs on top of potato pancake.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, tomato and green onion