Create an easy weeknight meal with Easy Taco Flatbread. Used canned biscuits for your taco base and let everyone add on their favorite taco toppings.
When my kids were little I had my list of “go to” meals. Things we had over and over again. I didn’t try new recipes and experiment as much back then as I do now. I just wanted to get dinner on the table!
One of our standard meals was tacos. It was quick and it was easy – a pound of hamburger, some store bought crispy taco shells and a few toppings. For my kids it was basically ketchup and grated cheese!
Today’s recipe is a stepped up version of those tacos. Still quick and easy to prepare but a little more fun to eat!
This recipe is one of those “no brainer” type of meals and I love it. Instead of taco shells it uses flatbread which is made quickly and easily out of canned biscuits. The flatbread is nice and sturdy too so you can load it up with your favorite taco ingredients.
How to Make Easy Flatbread
- Start with a tube of those Grand size muffins in a tube you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
- Use your hand or a rolling pin to flatten them out. Use a large frying pan or griddle and “dry” fry the bread. Do not use any oil or butter. Cook each side of the flatbread until golden brown, approximately one minute per side.
- Then start piling on the toppings. We started with a base of sour cream mixed with taco seasoning. I just started adding the packaged taco seasoning into the sour cream until I liked the taste. Spread a nice thick layer of it on the flatbread.
- The ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning is next. You could also add some beans here but I’m not a big bean fan. The sour cream base helps hold on the meat! And then add the cheese so it will melt into the warm meat.
- Add some crisp, crunchy lettuce. And finally, at our house, black olives and fresh diced tomato. A garnish of fresh chopped cilantro is the finishing touch.
One of the great things about this meal is that everyone can personalize it to their taste. Just set out an assortment of toppings and let everyone put their own combination together.
Check out more of my quick and easy dinner ideas:
Taco Flatbread Recipe
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 -3 tsp taco seasoning mix
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 pkg taco seasoning season to taste
- 1 16.3 oz. can canned biscuits
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- In a bowl, mix together the sour cream and taco seasoning to taste. chill until serving.(at least 30 minutes)
- In a large frying pan, cook the hamburger over medium heat until no longer pink; drain
- Add in the taco seasoning and cook according to the directions on the back of the package
- To serve, spread each flat bread with 2 tablespoons sour cream mixture then top each with meat mixture
- Add toppings if desired
- With your hand or a rolling pin press out each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. You want a nice even thickness.
- In a nonstick skillet frying pan or griddle over medium heat, cook each biscuit for about 60 seconds per side or until golden brown.
- This is a "dry fry" Do not use any type of grease, oil, butter etc. You cook them for about a minute on each side or until golden brown.
Originally posted Nov. 20, 2010
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.