Somehow this recipe disappeared off the blog – thanks Erin for letting me know. I love that her seven year old has been begging her to make it!
It is so good that it definitely needs to be put back!
For years we hosted a New Year’s Eve Soup Party. This soup was always the first one gone. My family and friends love this soup. If you are a clam chowder fan you must try! I think the secret ingredient is the pepper bacon!
For some of my other favorite soups check out this post.
Here you go!!
- 8 slices pepper bacon diced
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 C celery chopped
- 1/2 C flour
- 4 6oz. cans of chopped clams or 2 C fresh clams, shucked
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 C whole milk
- 1/2 C half and half
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot cook bacon until browned. Drain grease.
- Add butter, onions and celery to pot and cook over medium heat until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add flour, cook 3 minutes stirring constantly
- Drain clams and reserve liquid.
- Add enough water to clam liquid to measure 2 cups.
- Add this liquid slowly to mixture in pot, stirring constantly.
- Add potatoes and bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add clams, milk, half and half.
- Heat until thickened, be careful not to burn.
- Add salt and pepper.
- If soup thickens up to much you can add additional milk
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!