Steak Soup is a quick, easy, delicious, complete and hearty meal that the whole family will love. Full of tender beef, carrots and potatoes it makes the perfect fall meal.
We are definitely in a soup mode around here. My husband loves soup for dinner but I know there are some men that don’t consider soup a meal. Today’s recipe for Steak Soup is a meal, in fact, it is pretty much a complete meal because you’ve got your vegetables, your starch and your protein all in one bowl.
- Butter and Canola Oil. Could also use vegetable oil or olive oil.
- Steak. Top sirloin or you could also use stew beef.
- Vegetables. Onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, canned diced tomatoes.
- Tomato paste
- Seasoning. Salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, marjoram, paprika. You could also substitute Italian seasoning for the parsley, oregano and marjoram.
- Beef stock or beef broth.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Flour. Used as a thickener, could also use cornstarch to make it gluten free.
How to Make Steak Soup Recipe
This soup comes together in just over an hour.
- Brown meat over medium high heat with melted butter.
- Mix together flour, paprika, salt and pepper and sprinkle over meat, this will act as a bit of a thickener.
- Stir together broth, water, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, onions and seasonings in a pot along with meat over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Add in vegetables and simmer for another 15 minutes. If you like your veggies a little crisp like we do, just cook them until fork tender.
- Steak. Cut steak for steak soup into small, even bite size pieces so they cook evenly.
- Potatoes. Use a waxy potato such as a red or Yukon Gold. They hold up better in the soup. A russett potato will disintegrate after simmering for any length of time. Cut potatoes into even bite size pieces.
- Vegetables. Be sure and cut your vegetables into even size pieces too. I used carrots, celery and corn but you could add any your favorite vegetables. You could also use frozen vegetables if you prefer such as zucchini and mushrooms.
Frequently Asked Questions
I typically buy the precut stew meat at the grocery store but you can also use a sirloin steak and cut the meat into bite size pieces yourself.
I have a slow cooker version of steak soup that you can find here. You want to cook it on low for 8 hours.
Check out more easy and delicious recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 lbs top sirloin steak cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 15 ounce can corn drained
- 1 1/2 cups carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 1/2 cups yukon potatoes diced I left the peel on
- Melt butter in pan and add oil. Heat over medium heat. Add in steak. Cook until meat is browned. About 10 minutes.
- Mix together flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over browned meat and stir to coat.
- In a pot add together steak, beef broth, water, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes,onions and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until meat is tender. About 30-45 minutes
- Add in potatoes, carrots, corn, celery and tomato paste and brown sugar.
- Cook uncovered until vegetables are fork tender. About 15-20 minutes
- Adapted from allrecipes.com
Tips & Notes:
- You can use precut stew meat or you can cut up a sirloin or round steak even sized pieces.
- If you don’t have the parsley, oregano and marjoram, substitute them with two teaspoons of Italian seasoning,
- Use a waxy potato such as a red or Yukon Gold. A russett potato will disintegrate after simmering for any length of time. Cut potatoes into even bite size pieces.
- Be sure your vegetables are cut into even size pieces so they cook evenly.