Dip your soft pretzels for a perfect party appetizer, top your broccoli for a kid friendly vegetable, elevate a baked potato and more with this delicious cheese sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
One of our favorite game day or party appetizers are fresh and warm soft pretzels with a fun selection of pretzel dipping sauces. If you are not in the mood or don’t have time to make homemade pretzels you can pick up a bag of store bought pretzels. You will find them in the freezer section of the grocery store. Soft pretzel bites work great for dipping too.
But you don’t have to limit this cheese sauce to just pretzels. It is great with chips and French fries, or you can serve it over broccoli and baked potatoes. Anything that is better with cheese is better with this sauce!
- Butter. I use salted butter
- Flour. All purpose flour
- Milk. I used whole milk.
- Beer. Can also substitute chicken broth but it will alter the flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese. You can use a combo of white and yellow but I used all yellow. Start with shredded cheese.
- Grainy Mustard. Can substitute your favorite mustard such as honey mustard.
- Seasoning. Oregano, pepper, cayenne, salt
How to Make Cheese Sauce
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter. Add in flour and whisk together.
- Cook for 2 minutes to form a roux or thickener forms.
- Add in milk and beer and whisk until lumps disappear
- You can use chicken stock or broth instead of beer in this dip recipe. The flavor will change but it will still be delicious.
- Add in grated cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle in seasoning and in mustard, stir to incorporate. Mixture should be nice and smooth and ready for dipping!
Pair This With:
- Tortilla chips
- French Fries
- Hot Dogs
- Chicken Nuggets
- Baked Potato
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I keep cheese sauce warm?
You can serve it in a bowl and reheat in the microwave as needed. You can also serve it directly out of a small crockpot on the warm setting. A fondue pot also works well for keeping it warm.
Can I use different cheese?
You can totally change up the type of cheese depending on what you have on hand. The cheeses that melt the smoothest are: Cheddar, Colby, Havarti, Swiss, Fontina, Monterey Jack, Provolone, Smoked Gouda
Can I use this for a cheese fondue?
This cheese sauce would be perfect used as a cheese fondue too. Just keep it warm in your fondue pot.
What kind of beer should I use?
I am not a beer drinker so I always buy whatever beer is the cheapest!
How long will cheese sauce last?
Keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge and it will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
For more delicious treat ideas check out these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste and to garnish on top. Could also use tabasco sauce.
Cheese Dipping Sauce
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in milk and beer, stirring until all the lumps are gone.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano and cayenne pepper and mustard.
- Serve warm.
- Sprinkle top with some additional cayenne pepper if desired.