These truly are the best baked beans. They are one of my most requested recipes at our neighborhood potlucks!
Some of our other favorite side dishes for a summer BBQ include this yummy coleslaw. It’s perfect with baked beans. This broccoli salad is also a staple at our house in the summer. And this Corn and Blueberry Salad may seem like a strange combo but trust me on this one – it’s delish! You can find all my side dishes here.
Favorite Side Dish
This recipe came from my husband’s Aunt Dawn and has been a family favorite for decades! If you have a BBQ potluck planned for the holiday weekend this is the perfect thing to make! What makes these baked beans so special? A lot of things including brown sugar, bacon, onion, and ketchup.
How to Make Baked Beans
One of the tricks to wonderful beans is baking them for a long time. These beans bake for 3 hours so be sure and plan ahead. I use my nice heavy Le Creuset pan. Any kind of dutch oven with a lid will work well.
- Place all the ingredients into a large, heavy pan.
- Stir to combine.
- After mixing all the ingredients together place sliced green pepper rings on top.
- Bake for 3 hours at 350 degrees F.
You can bake them with the lid on or the lid off. They will get thicker if you bake with the lid off. Sometimes I bake them half the time with the lid on and half the time with the lid off, if I can remember to take the lid off! So if you like your baked beans thick, bake with the lid off. If you like them runnier, bake with the lid on.
Baked beans are a frequent menu item at our house during the summer – a great side dish for all those fun barbecues you have during the summer.
We love to serve these baked beans with:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Baked Beans Recipe
- 2 28 oz. cans pork and beans or baked beans
- 1/2 lb. chopped bacon uncooked
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 bottle ketchup 24 oz.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 green pepper cut into rings
- Stir and combine first six ingredients
- Then place green pepper rings on top
- Bake 350 degrees for 3 hours uncovered (I cover)