Instant Pot Beef Brisket takes just a fraction of the time it would take in the oven or slow cooker. Add a simple rub before cooking and then slather in BBQ sauce before serving.
This Instant Pot Brisket is going to become your new favorite easy dinner idea. The Instant Pot makes it easy, quick and delicious. The meat comes out so tender that it about melts in your mouth. You can serve it with BBQ sauce or without. Thanks to a rub that is added to the meat before cooking there is a lot of flavor going on.
What is Beef Brisket?
Beef brisket is a tough cut of meat but cooked the right way it can be tender and melt in your mouth delicious. It is popular in Texas-style barbecue and is usually prepared by rubbing the brisket with a dry spice rub, then cooking the beef brisket slowly over charcoal or smoked.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Brisket
- Your brisket will have a layer of fat on one side. I like to trip some of it off, but not all of it. The fat does add some additional flavor.
- Mix up your rub and cover both sides of the brisket with it. If you have time, wrap the brisket in plastic wrap and allow it to sit in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If you don’t have time, that’s o.k., it will still be delicious. I have done it both ways, allowed it to refrigerate before and also just added the rub and put it in the Instant Pot and both ways were delicious.
- Saute your garlic with the olive oil in the Instant Pot using the saute feature.
- Cut the brisket into two pieces so that it fits in the pot.
- Add your seasoned meat and beef broth. Pour the beef broth around the meat, not over the top, so you don’t wash off the rub.
- Cook on the meat/stew setting for 90 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board. Slice the meat going against the grain. Cover with your favorite BBQ sauce.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this delicious brisket! Just check out my slow cooker brisket recipe! It definitely takes a little more time to cook, about 7-8 hours, but it is just as delicious!
How Long to Cook Beef Brisket in the Instant Pot by Pounds?
- 2 to 3 pounds brisket: Cook on high pressure for 55 to 60 minutes.
- 4 to 5 pounds brisket: Cook on high pressure for 90 minutes.
- 6 to 7 pounds brisket: Cook on high pressure for 105 to 110 minutes.
What to serve with Instant Pot Beef Brisket?
BBQ sauce is my favorite thing to serve with it. My favorite store bought BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Rays. If you want to make your own, use the sauce recipe from this recipe. It’s delicious.
Some of my favorite things to serve with beef brisket are:
Instant Pot Beef Brisket Recipe with BBQ Sauce
Instant Pot Brisket
- 4 lbs. beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp cumin
- Mix rub ingredients together.
- Add oil and garlic to Instant Pot and saute using the saute setting for 2-3 minutes.
- Rub brisket on both sides with rub mixture. Cut brisket in half so it lays flat in the Instant Pot.
- Pour beef broth into the Instant Pot, around the meat so you don’t wash off the rub.
- Put on the lid and cook on meat/stew setting for 90 minutes. Do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release.
- Remove meat and place on a cutting board. Slice meat going against the grain.
- Add BBQ Sauce and serve.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.