These Raspberry Oatmeal Bars are a combination fresh raspberries with raspberry jam over a shortbread type base and topped with an oats and pecan streusel.
Raspberry oatmeal bars are the perfect way to celebrate berry season but don’t wait for berry season to enjoy these bars. They are too good to wait for berry season and we are lucky enough to be able to find fresh raspberries in the grocery store year round.
I first made these oatmeal bars for my daughters 19th birthday. I wanted to send some treats to work with her and these were the perfect choice. I’ve made them many times since and each time I think to myself, why don’t I make them more! Although I chose to make the oatmeal Bars with raspberries they would be yummy with just about any berry – especially blackberries or blueberries. I don’t think you could go wrong.
What is Streusel?
Streusel is typically used to top baked goods such as muffins, cakes and pies and bar cookies. A streusel topping creates a sweet and crumbly topping for your baked good. It is a simple combination of flour, sugar, butter and sometimes oats and nuts as in this recipe. I love the flavor and texture that the streusel adds to the raspberry oatmeal bars.
How to Make Raspberry Oatmeal Bars?
To make these raspberry oatmeal bars I used a combination of fruit jam and fresh fruit. Lucky for me I had some homemade raspberry jam in the freezer I used along with my fresh raspberries but store bought jam and berries will work just fine. I think you could also use frozen berries with this recipe, just be sure to drain them well.
I like to line my 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper to make the bars easier to remove. Spray the parchment paper with baking spray.
The base of the bar is made with butter, sugar, flour and salt. After it is baked for 15 minutes or so it is covered with a layer of raspberry jam and fresh raspberries that have been smashed together.
The streusel topping is the best part in my option. It is made with butter, brown sugar, oats and chopped pecans. Allow the bars to cool before cutting.
These Raspberry oatmeal Bars totally fits my criteria of pretty and delicious!
Check out more of my favorite cookie bar recipes:
Raspberry Oatmeal Bars Recipe
Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces softened and divided
- 1/4 C brown sugar packed
- 1/2 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C pecans chopped fine
- 3/4 C raspberry jams
- 1 C fresh raspberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper and spray the paper cooking spray.
- In a mixer, with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, salt and 14 Tbsp of butter, one piece at a time.
- Mix until it resembles the texture of wet sand. May also use food processor
- Set aside 1 1/4 C flour mixture.
- Put remaining flour mixture into bottom of pan and press evenly to make bottom layer.
- Bake until edges turn brown, about 14-18 minutes.
- While it is baking, add brown sugar, oats and pecans to flour mixture. Mix together.
- Work in remaining 2 Tbsp butter with fingers until pea size clumps form.
- Set streusel aside.
- Mix together jam and fresh berries along with lemon juice in a bowl.
- Mash with a fork until only some berry pieces remain.
- Spread raspberry filling over hot crust; sprinkle streusel topping evenly over filling (do not press into filling).
- Return to oven and bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- About 22-25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Originally posted July 18, 2012
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.