This lemon bar recipe has been in my family for 50 years and I haven’t found a better one anywhere. When the family recipe has been around this long, you know they are the best lemon bars around.
This recipe originally came from a childhood friend’s mother in Wisconsin. It is the recipe my mother always made and it is the one I always make. Through the years I have tried an endless number of recipes and this one still comes out on top.
The best lemon bars need to have the right texture. Not too gooey, not too dry. It also has to have the right amount of lemon. Not too sweet and not to tart. I am pretty picky!
The only down side to this recipe is it only makes an 8 x 8 pan! This recipe starts with a baked shortbread cookie like crust. Then you add a mixture of eggs, sugar and lemon and bake some more. The final touch is a drizzle of a lemon glaze. Use fresh lemons for the glaze and use a great lemon squeezer to squeeze your lemons!
Lemon bars are one of my all time favorite desserts. Where ever I go, if there is a lemon bar to be found, I will find it! And I still think my recipe makes the best lemon bars around.
Bake up a batch and try them for yourself!
Try move of my favorite lemon recipes:
Lovely Lemon Angel Pie
Delicious Lemon Cheesecake Bars
The Perfect Lemon Cream Cake
Best Lemon Bar Recipe
The Best Lemon Bars
- 1/2 C butter cold
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 3/4 C powdered sugar
- Cut together butter, flour and powdered sugar and press into 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mix together sugar, flour and baking powder
- Add in eggs, lemon juice and lemon rind
- Pour this mixture over baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until edges are golden brown and mixture is set.
- Mix together powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make glaze soft enough to drizzle over lemon bars while they are still warm.
- Cool and cut.