This lemon bar recipe has been in my family for 50 years and I haven’t found a better one anywhere. When the family recipe has been around this long, you know it is the best!
This recipe originally came from a childhood friend’s mother in Wisconsin. It is the recipe my mother always made and it is the one I always make. Through the years I have tried an endless number of recipes and this one still comes out on top.
Yo have t have just the right texture for a perfect bar. Not too gooey, not too dry. It also has to have the right amount of lemon. Not too sweet and not to tart. I am pretty picky!
The only down side to this recipe is it only makes an 8 x 8 pan! This recipe starts with a baked shortbread cookie like crust. Then you add a mixture of eggs, sugar and lemon and bake some more. The final touch is a drizzle of a lemon glaze. Use fresh lemons for the glaze and use a great lemon squeezer to squeeze your lemons!
Lemon bars are one of my all time favorite desserts. Where ever I go, if there is a lemon bar to be found, I will find it! And I still think my recipe makes the best lemon bars around.
Bake up a batch and try them for yourself!
Check out more great lemon recipes:
Lovely Lemon Angel Pie
Delicious Lemon Cheesecake Bars
The Perfect Lemon Cream Cake
Best Lemon Bar Recipe
The Best Lemon Bars
- 1/2 C butter cold
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 3/4 C powdered sugar
- Cut together butter, 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup powdered sugar and press into 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mix together sugar, 2 Tbsp flour and baking powder
- Add in eggs, lemon juice and lemon rind
- Pour this mixture over baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until edges are golden brown and mixture is set.
- Mix together 3/4 cup powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make glaze soft enough to drizzle over lemon bars while they are still warm.
- Cool and cut.