This lemon bar recipe has been in my family for 50 years and I haven’t found a better one anywhere. When the family recipe has been around this long, you know it is the best!
Family Favorite Recipe
This recipe originally came from a childhood friend’s mother in Wisconsin. It is the recipe my mother always made and it is the one I always make. Through the years I have tried an endless number of recipes and this one still comes out on top.
You have to have just the right texture for a perfect lemon bar. Not too gooey, not too dry. It also has to have the right amount of lemon. Not too sweet and not to tart. I am pretty picky!
The only down side to this recipe is it only makes an 8 x 8 pan!
How to Make Lemon Bars
This recipe starts with a baked shortbread cookie like crust. Then you add a mixture of eggs, sugar and lemon and bake some more. The final touch is a drizzle of a lemon glaze. Use fresh lemons for the glaze and use a great lemon squeezer to squeeze your lemons!
Lemon bars are one of my all time favorite desserts. Where ever I go, if there is one to be found, I will find it! And I still think my recipe makes the best lemon bars around.
Bake a batch and try them for yourself!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Check out more great lemon recipes:
Best Lemon Bar Recipe
The Best Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 lemon zest and juice (about 2 Tbsp juice)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice or enough to get proper consistency for drizzling
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Cut together butter, 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup powdered sugar and press into 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mix together sugar, 2 Tbsp flour and baking powder
- Add in eggs, juice of one lemon (about 2 Tbsp.) and the zest from the lemon.
- Pour this mixture over baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until edges are golden brown and mixture is set.
- Mix together 3/4 cup powdered sugar with 2 Tbsp lemon juice or enough to make glaze soft enough to drizzle over lemon bars while they are still warm.
- Cool and cut.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!