Lemon Shortbread is perfection. Soft and buttery shortbread that is full of lemon flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The light buttery flavor of shortbread pairs perfectly with tangy lemon. That lemon flavor comes from lemon infused sugar and a lemon glaze.
They are easy to make and a perfect addition to any occasion.
- Sugar, granulated an powdered
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
How To Make Lemon Shortbread
Shortbread is traditionally 1 part sugar to 2 parts butter. Shortbread has lots of butter but that is what makes it so good! This lemon shortbread also uses lemon infused sugar which gives it a perfect lemon flavor. Just use your fingers to mix the lemon zest into the sugar to release the oils and get that lemon goodness into the sugar.
The lemon sugar is combined with the butter, lemon juice and flour until it forms coarse crumbs.
This mixture is then pressed into the bottom of the pan and baked for about 25 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown.
The crowning touch is the lemon glaze which gives it even more lemon goodness. A dusting of lemon zest finishes them off.
Then all that is left is to grab yourself a cup of tea and a piece of lemon shortbread and enjoy!
Check out more of my favorite lemon recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
For the dough
- 4 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated lemon zest plus 1 tsp.
- 1 pound unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 C fresh lemon juice
For the glaze
- 1 C confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter softened
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and zest – use your fingers to massage the zest into the sugar until very fragrant and combine.
- Add butter and beat mixture together until smooth.
- Add juice and mix until combined and creamy, making sure to scrape down the sides as needed. Add flour mixture and beat just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Scoop mixture into a 9″ x 13″ baking pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Place into the oven and bake until the top is lightly golden, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely
To prepare the glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, butter and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread glaze over the cooled shortbread and sprinkle with lemon zest, if desired.
- Set aside and let stand at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Makes about 40 cookies.