Blueberry Crumble Bars are a delicious layer of blueberries sandwiched between sugar and butter!
Blueberry season has arrived here in Oregon! We move pretty quickly from season to season around here, starting with strawberry season, then raspberry and now blueberry! These blueberry crumble bars taste just like a eating a delicious slice of blueberry pie.
How to Make Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Just like the blueberry muffins I shared before, these bars can be made with fresh or frozen berries in a 9 x 13 pan. If you use frozen berries, just thaw and drain them really well. Making this crumble bars with frozen blueberries allows you to enjoy it all year long. The berries are coated in sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. The cornstarch helps to thicken the mixture as it cooks.
- If you’d like some tips on freezing berries check out my post on how to freeze berries here.
- These blueberry crumble bars start with a layer of sugar,flour and butter that has been mixed together to form a crumble mixture, half of the mixture goes on the bottom of the pan. Add the berry mixture on top of it and then add the remaining crumble mixture on top!
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 45 minutes or until they are nice and golden brown. Allow them to cool before slicing. You can put them in the refrigerator if you need them to cool faster. You can slice them warm but they will be easier to handle and slice if they have cooled.
Blueberry Bars are just like eating a slice of blueberry pie in a bar form. The only thing missing is a scoop of ice cream. So add a scoop of ice cream to the top of a bar and enjoy! Or maybe in between two bars for a blueberry ice cream sandwich!?!?!
Check out more of my favorite berry recipes:
Blueberry Crumble Bar Recipe
Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 1 C white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 C cold butter 2 sticks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 C. fresh blueberries
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder
- Mix in salt and lemon zest
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg
- Dough will be crumbly
- Pat half of dough into the prepared pan
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice
- Gently mix in the blueberries
- Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust
- Crumble remaining dough over the top
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown
- Cool completely before cutting into squares
Leave a Review