Made with a pastry crust and topped with a streusel topping, mini blueberry pie is blueberry crisp meets blueberry pie and it’s the perfect combo!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
If you love a fruit crisp because of the streusel topping but you also love a fruit pie with a buttery, flaky crust, this recipe for mini blueberry pie is the best of both worlds! You don’t have to choose one over the other. You can have your pie and crisp in these amazing mini blueberry pies!
The addition of lemon zest and lemon juice gives this blueberry pie a fresh, delicious taste.
- Pie dough. You need a single pie crust which can be made from scratch (see below) or use a store bought one.
- Blueberries. Use fresh blueberries or frozen. If using frozen, partially thaw and drain first.
- Brown Sugar
- Flour. I use unbleached all purpose flour
- Corn starch
- Lemon. You will use the juice and the zest.
- Old Fashioned Oats. You can also use quick oats but it will give you a slightly different texture.
- Butter. I use salted butter.
How to Make Mini Blueberry Pie
- Let pie crust sit at room temperature if using a refrigerated pie crust.
If making pie crust from scratch:
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients so it resembles small pebbles. use a pastry blender of your hands. (See my post How to Make the Perfect Pie Crust for more details.)
- Add enough cold water so that dough comes together and dry ingredients are absorbed. If it is too wet, add a bit more flour.
- Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- If using a store bought pie crust, allow it to sit out for a few minutes so you can unroll it without it breaking.
- Roll out pie crust so that two pie tins fit on top with about an inch of dough around.
- Press dough into two 5 inch pie tins and flute the edges of the pie.
- Prick the bottom of crust with a fork to help prevent shrinkage.
- Refrigerate or freeze crusts for about 30 minutes (this will also help prevent the crust from shrinking.)
- Parbake pie crusts in a 375 degree F oven for 5 minutes. This helps the pie crust from getting soggy.
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 Tbsp flour, 1 Tbsp cornstarch, 1 tsp lemon zest and 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add in blueberries, stir to coat. If the blueberries are slightly damp the mixture will adhere to the berries better.
In another bowl, combine ingredients for streusel topping including 1/3 cup brown sugar, 6 Tbsp old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 3 Tbsp softened butter.
Mix mixture together until crumbly.
- Add half of blueberries into each pie crust.
- Sprinkle top with half of the streusel mixture.
- Place the pies on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown. If the top browns too quickly, cover a piece of foil.
How to Serve Mini Blueberry Pie
- Ice Cream. Use vanilla ice cream or cinnamon ice cream for more amazing flavor.
- Whipped Cream. Sweetened whipped cream is easy to make using these directions.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use some ramekins or any small baking dish you have but you can also make one small pie instead of two mini pies if using a baking dish. Also, you could make smaller pies by using a muffin tin.
Try these other delicious recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Mini Blueberry Pie
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter, salted
- 4-5 tsp cold water
- or use one refrigerated pie crust.
Blueberry Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 6 Tbsp old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter salted
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients using your hands or a pastry blender.
- Add in enough cold water for dough to come together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each piece to be 1 inch bigger around than pie tin.
- Press dough into 5 inch pie pan, flute edges and poke bottom of crust with a fork.
- Refrigerate or freeze for 20-30 minutes, this will help prevent shrinkage.
- Parbake crust for 5 minutes at 375 degrees F (this will help prevent crust from getting soggy.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Add in blueberries and stir to coat blueberries.
- Place half of mixture into each pie crust that has been parbaked.
- Mix together brown sugar, rolled oats, flour, cinnamon
- Cut in butter using fingers until crumbly.
- Place half of the mixture over the top of each pie.
- Bake at 375 Degrees F for 20 minutes. If crumble topping browns too quickly, cover with a piece of foil.
Leave a Review