These delicious glazed orange cookies are a melt in mouth sugar cookie that is full of orange goodness.
Lemon is my first love but orange is close behind. I am a huge fan of citrus flavors be it lemon, orange or lime! I also love a good sugar cookie and when it has a yummy glaze or frosting on top, even better! As a child, one of my favorite summertime treats was a orange dreamsicle and these cookies will take you back to that summertime treat.
I made this cookie with oranges but it would be just as delicious with lemons or limes. Choose your favorite citrus!
How to Make Orange Cookies
There is so much orange goodness in these cookies thanks to orange zest and orange juice. For even more orange flavor I added in orange extract too. Be sure and use fresh oranges, not the frozen orange juice that comes in a can. To make the job of zesting easier be sure and use a microplanner. It’s one of my favorite kitchen tools.
- Beat your butter, sugar, orange zest together until light and fluffy.
- After adding in the flour, baking soda, eggs and extract, form the dough into balls and bake.
- While they are baking mix up your orange glaze which is a mixture of powdered sugar, fresh orange juice and more of that lovely orange rind. You want a nice consistency that will gently spread over the top of the cookies.
- After the cookies cool, give them a nice covering of glaze. Let it run down the sides!
This cookie is slightly crisp on the edges and nice and soft in the middle – just what a cookie should be. This cookie is perfect for spring and summer but also makes a great addition to a holiday cookie plate and is the perfect addition to a cup of tea.
Other favorite orange treats:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Orange Cookie Recipe
Orange Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 3/4 cups butter salted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp grated orange zest divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 Tbsp orange juice
- Beat butter in a bowl with sugar and 1 Tbsp zest until nice and fluffy. Add in eggs and extract.
- Add in the flour and baking soda and beat until just combined.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop cookies onto baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake cookies for 15-17 minutes. Cool on rack
- Mix together powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp zest and enough juice to make glaze the right consistency to spread.
- Spread on cookies. Allow cookies to set up
Originally posted Dec. 6, 2012
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.