These delicious glazed orange cookies are a melt in your mouth sugar cookie that is full of orange goodness.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
Lemon is my first love but orange is close behind. I am a huge fan of citrus flavors be it lemon, orange or lime! I also love a good sugar cookie and when it has a yummy glaze or frosting on top, even better! As a child, one of my favorite summertime treats was a orange dreamsicle and these cookies will take you back to that summertime treat. If you are a citrus lover too, these orange cookies are going to become a favorite.
- Flour. I use unbleached all purpose flour
- Baking Soda
- Butter. I use salted butter at room temperature.
- Orange. You will use the juice and the zest.
- Orange Extract. This gives the cookies even more great orange flavor.
How to Make Orange Cookies
- Beat your butter, sugar, orange peel together in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy. It will smell wonderful.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, eggs and extract.
- Form the cookie dough into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake cookies for 15-17 minutes. Cool on rack.
- While the orange cookies are baking, mix up your orange glaze which is a mixture of powdered sugar, fresh orange juice and more of that lovely orange zest. You want a nice consistency that will gently spread over the top of the cookies.
Tips For Orange Cookies from Leigh Anne
These orange cookies are slightly crisp on the edges and nice and soft in the middle – just what a cookie should be. This cookie is perfect for spring and summer but also makes a great addition to a holiday cookie plate and is the perfect addition to a cup of tea!
Frequently Asked Questions
These cookies would be delicious with lemon or lime juice or even a combination of juices.
You can freeze them in an airtight container. I prefer to put them in the freezer before glazing them but if you freeze them after glazing put layers of parchment paper or wax paper between the cookies to prevent them from sticking together. Follow all my tips here for freezing cookies.
If you love orange cookies try these recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Orange Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp soda
- 3/4 cups butter salted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp grated orange zest divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 Tbsp orange juice
- Beat butter in a bowl with sugar and 1 Tbsp zest until nice and fluffy. Add in eggs and extract.
- Add in the flour and baking soda and beat until just combined.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop cookies onto baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake cookies for 15-17 minutes. Cool on rack
- Mix together powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp zest and enough juice to make glaze the right consistency to spread.
- Spread on cookies. Allow cookies to set up
Originally posted Dec. 6, 2012