Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken has a little sweet and a little heat! This easy chicken recipe is a perfect family dinner. And with the help of your crock pot, an easy meal to get on the table!
Mondays are my favorite day to use the slow cooker. I put a meal in before we go to church and we have a delicious dinner waiting for us at dinner time with very little effort. It makes it such a relaxing day. On your next busy day, plan to make dinner a little easier with this Citrus Chicken recipe.
To make citrus chicken, just pop all of the ingredients into the slow cooker, turn her on and let her go! The flavor from the orange and lemon mixed with the sweet chili sauce gives the chicken a great sweet, but spicy flavor. When I cook chicken in the slow cooker, I love to use thighs to keep the chicken nice and moist, but you can always switch out the thighs for boneless skinless chicken breast.
I like to cook my chicken for about 4 hours instead of the longer time a lot of recipes call for. I like the texture of the meat better if it cooks a little less. If it is done and we’re not ready for dinner yet I just turn my crockpot on warm and let it sit until we’re ready. This citrus chicken was cooked perfectly at 4 hours.
I love having a timer on my slow cooker . This is my favorite slow cooker if you are in the market for a new one.
Served your citrus chicken over rice with your favorite vegetables.
Check out more of my easy chicken dinner recipes:
Slow Cooker Citrus Chicken
- 1 orange halved and sliced thinly
- 6 chicken thighs skinless, boneless (about 1.5 lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 C sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- cilantro for garnish
- Place orange slices in bottom of slow cooker.
- Toss the chicken in flour, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to slow cooker.
- Combine chili sauce, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic in a bowl.
- Pour over chicken
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker and cover with foil to keep warm
- Pour remaining liquid into a sauce pan.
- Mix together 1/4 C chicken broth or water with 2 tsp cornstarch. Mix until smooth
- Add into sauce in pan and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Spoon sauce over chicken.