This frozen orange ice is the perfect way to cool off. Made with orange juice and lemon juice it is refreshing and delicious.
We love frosty orange treats and this Orange Creamsicle Pie is another favorite. Made with orange sherbet this Orange Freeze is a favorite from my childhood. I grew up eating Orange Creamsicles every summer and this is a fun homemade version.
We had a bit of a heat wave recently in Portland. A heat wave consists of more than one day in a row over 90 degrees. In fact, we have had a few days that have hit 100 degrees F.
The perfect way to stay cool is a bowl of something cold and frosty. Orange Ice was the perfect solution and one of the bonuses is, it is dairy free so if you have non-dairy eater at your house this is the perfect way for them to enjoy a frosty treat too.
Orange Ice Ingredients
Sugar. The base of this orange ice is a simple syrup which is a mixture of water and sugar that is boiled in a pan on the stove top and then cooled.
Orange Juice. I have used fresh squeezed orange juice and I have also bought orange juice from the grocery store and both work great.
Lemon Juice. I find that fresh squeezed lemon juice will give you the best flavor.
This recipe is an easy one to tweek to your own taste. I think next time I may try lemon and lime juice. It would be fun to use blood oranges too and the color would be oh so pretty!
Ice Cream has milk in it. Ice is dairy free, no milk, and is made with a base of water and sugar.
Because of the milk, ice cream is creamier than an ice. An ice lives up to it’s name, it is icy.
How to Make Orange Ice
- Make your simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together in a sauce pan on the stove for five minutes. Put the mixture into the refrigerator to cool.
- Add in your juices and orange rind once the simple syrup as cooled.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips for Making Orange Ice
- The shallower the container you put your ice into, the faster it will harden and be ready to eat.
- I like to store ice in an insulated ice cream tub to prevent ice crystals from forming.
- The ice will keep for 3- 4 weeks if stored properly in the freezer.
Looking for more Summer Dessert recipes?
- 3 Ingredient Pink LemonadePie
- Brown Sugar Tropical Fruit Topping
- Lime Sherbet Freeze
- Copy cat Chick fil a Frozen Lemonade
- Lime Freeze
- Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Easy Fried Ice Cream
Find my favorite ice cream maker here.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Orange Ice Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups orange juice fresh or reconstituted
- 1/3 cup lemon juice fresh
- rind of two oranges
- Mix water and sugar together in pan and boil for 5 minutes. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Add in juice and rind.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to directions.
Originally posted August 23, 2011
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!