Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is delicious and easy, ready in under 30 minutes so and it makes weeknight meal planning a cinch. The soup can also be made gluten free and vegan with the switch of a few ingredients.
I love a good butternut squash soup. I have several different variations here on the blog including Curried Butternut Squash Soup and a crock pot Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup.This Instant Pot version is the perfect addition to my butternut squash soup repertoire.
I enjoyed my first butternut squash soup years ago at a fancy restaurant and fell in love. I have never been much of a squash fan but when you put it in soup form I fell in love. It’s the perfect way to eat more vegetables! This is also one soup that my children consistently ask for.
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup in an Instant Pot
Prepare your Butternut Squash. You can purchase peeled and cubed butternut squash in the produce section of most grocery stores but it can be rather spend. It is pretty easy and simple to peel and cube your own. I just use a potato peeler to remove the skin and then cut the squash in half, clean out the seeds and then cube it. You will need 8 cups of cubed squash.
- Saute your onion and garlic in some oil using the saute feature on the Instant Pot for a few minutes, until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add ingredients except milk. I use chicken broth when I make it but if you’d like to make this soup vegan, just substitute vegetable broth. The recipe also uses apple juice for a sweetener. I like to use cumin, thyme and allspice to season the soup. Stir to mix in the spices.
Add in your dairy at the very end, before serving. Again, if you want to make it vegan, use coconut milk instead of half and half.
- Cook – put on lid and make sure valve is set to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, natural release for 10 minutes and then manual release.
- Blend soup – use an immersion blender or a high speed blender to puree soup.
- Add in dairy – use half and half or coconut milk.
- Garnish – garnish the soup with some sour cream, parsley, pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little kick.
Within 30 minutes you have a perfect cool weather meal that’s healthy, nutritious and easy. Add some crusty bread, if you like and you are ready for dinner. And it’s delicious!
Some of my other favorite cool weather meals:
If you don’t have an Instant Pot follow the directions for stove top Butternut Squash Soup here.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 8 cups butternut squash peeled and cubed, 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup half and half or coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream drizzled over soup
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds roasted and salted
- red pepper flakes
- Add oil, onions and garlic to Instant Pot and cook on saute until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except for half and half. Stir to combine
- Seal Instant Pot and set valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release.
- Use an immersion blender or a high speed blender to blend soup.
- Add in dairy
- Garnish with chopped parsley, sour cream, pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.