This post contains affliate links
We hosted our annual Halloweenie Roast this past weekend. This is a fun tradition we have done with our neighbors for the past seven years. You can see some of our past Halloweenie Roasts here. The main menu item is of course hot dogs and we also roast them over our fire pit. There are lots of yummy appetizers too including this Mummy Wrapped Brie and Spider Web Seven Layer Dip.
This year I decided to add in some Butternut Squash Soup just in case someone wasn’t in the mood for a hot dog! This soup would be the perfect thing to serve on Halloween too to keep those trick or treaters warm.
It is a delicious and creamy butternut squash soup and is easy to make, especially when you used pre cubed butternut squash which I found at Trader Joes. Of course you can use a whole squash and cut it up yourself too. I was just trying to save myself some time.
I roasted the cubed squash under the broiler for about 10 minutes to soften it a bit and give it some nice flavor.
Then I just combined it with some onions, garlic and thyme I had softened in some butter. Just add the roasted squash and some chicken broth into the onion mixture and simmer until the squash is totally tender – about 10 minutes. From there I just pureed it in my blender after letting it cool. I use my high powered Vitamix which I can put hot things into. If you have a regular blender you will need to let the soup cool first or you’ll end up with a mess!
I like my soup nice and smooth but you can leave it a little chunkier if that is your preference.
The addition of some cumin and allpsice makes the flavor even better.
All that was left to do was to garnish it with some fresh chopped chives and serve. It was the perfect compliment to our hot dog roast!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 24 oz. of cubed butternut squash
- 3 C chicken broth
- pinch of cumin
- pinch of allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat squash lightly with olive oil and place on baking sheet and place under broiler for about 10 minutes. Place 5-6 inches below broiler. Flip half way through cooking time.
- Melt butter in large pan over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and thyme until onion is softened.
- Add in roasted squash and chicken broth. Cook until squash is tender. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add in cumin, allspice and salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and puree in blender to desired consistency. Depending on the type of blender you have, you may need to let the soup cool first.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.