Simplify your dinner plans and soup making with this delicious Slow Cooker Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup.
The week before Christmas, I was invited to a Scarves and Soup party. It is such a fun idea! A friend of mine invites her girlfriends over for a lunch of homemade soups and everyone brings some type of scarf for a gift exchange. It is that fun type of gift exchange where you can choose to unwrap a new gift or steal one from someone else. I ended up with a scarf I love and a some delicious new soup recipes.
The soup I brought was a delicious Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup. I was pretty busy the day before the party so I needed something easy, and this slow cooker soup recipe is perfect. I love butternut squash soup and the chipotle peppers add some heat and a nice depth of flavor. You can control the heat of the soup by adjusting the amount of chilies you add. I put in two and there was just a nice subtle heat to the soup. That heat is balanced out with a little brown sugar and some onions to add a little sweetness.
Let it cook for 3-4 hours or until the squash is nice and tender. Then, use an immersion blender or put it in your blender and mix until the desired smoothness. I prefer mine nice and smooth.
Finally, serve it with some crumbled bacon and chopped chives on top!
Check out more of my favorite Crock Pot Soup Recipes:
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 cups butternut squash peeled and cubed, about 3/4 inch size pieces
- 1/2 C onion chopped
- 2 C chicken broth
- 2 tsp chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 C half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- bacon pieces and chives for garnish
- Place all ingredients except half and half into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until squash is tender.
- Pour half of soup into a blender or food processor and blend until desired smoothness.
- Pour into bowl.
- Repeat with remaining soup.
- Return soup to slow cooker and stir in half and half and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes or until heated th rough.
- Garnish with crisp bacon and chives