Black bean hummus is a fun change to traditional hummus. Using black beans instead of garbanzo beans along with roasted red peppers gives it a delicious flavor!
If you love hummus be sure and check out these other delicious hummus recipes. Easy Homemade Hummus is a traditional hummus and this Red Pepper Hummus is such a pretty color and delicious. And putting together a Hummus Snack Board is perfect for a party or an after school snack.
New Flavor Combo
My youngest daughter use to work at the local Farmer’s Market. One day she came home raving about a black bean hummus she had tried. I was totally intrigued with the idea so knew I had to figure out how to make it.
I’ll be the first to admit, black bean hummus is not the prettiest dish, but the flavor combination is great. It is made with black beans, garlic, roasted red peppers, Greek yogurt, tahini and also uses my Garlic and Herb Spice mix. (link) Hummus is usually made with garbanzo beans, but the black beans are a fun and flavorful change.
What is Tahini?
Tahini is an ingredient found in all hummus recipes and one you might not be familiar with. In it’s simplest form it is ground up toasted sesame seeds and helps give hummus it’s unique flavor. Tahini is easily found in your local grocery store and is commonly found in the peanut butter aisle.
How to Make Hummus?
The process is simple.
- Place ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse with the food processor until the ingredients are combined. The hummus will not be totally smooth because of the black beans. There will still be small pieces of black bean in the hummus which gives it a nice texture.
What To Serve With Hummus?
- Bread. Use it as a condiment in place of mayo or mustard on your favorite sandwich.
- Pita Chips or Crackers. Make your own pita chips with this recipe.
- Vegetables. Enjoy with carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower or sliced peppers.
- Chips. Dip with tortillas.
Make sure to check out more delicious breads to serve with hummus:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Black Bean Hummus Recipe
Black Bean Hummus
- 3 15.5 oz cans black beans rinsed & drained
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 8 oz jar roasted red peppers drained
- 1 tsp Garlic Herb Spice Blend
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp ground corinader
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini Paste
- Combine everything in a food processor or blender
- Puree until somewhat smooth and combined
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Serve with pita chips, chips or fresh veggies
Originally posted July 6, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.